PDA

View Full Version : Need some serious Big Red help

bobbyg
10-02-2006, 11:11 PM
Ok, I've talked about this before. I had a problem a while back when I added too much SeaFoam to the tank of my '83 honda 200e. Drained the gas and added a quart of fresh gas and then drained that. Added another half tank and changed the plug and let it idle. Now it quit smoking when it idles (good) but wants to dog out when I give any throttle and starts to give black smoke when I give any throttle. When I get it running I've been trying to let it idle for 10 minutes or so at a time with a fan blowing on it. Since I was working on it I took the air filter cover off to clean the filter and it seems to be really sucking air when it idles and runs rough if I put the cover back on. The only time I can get the RPMs up is if I blow air into the air filter box. Plus I'm fouling plugs like crazy (which I've never done before). I'm not sure where to start?? I'm sure the carb needs cleaning (that's why I added the SeaFoam). But I have no idea why I'm fouling plugs and it dies when I give throttle. It ran fine for about three weeks after I added the SeaFoam but I let it sit for a week or two and that's when the problems started. HELP!!:wondering Thanks alot in advance if anyone has any tips.....

JohnR.
10-02-2006, 11:16 PM
If it runs good with the air box cover off then I'd start looking "up stream" of it. Is there some sort of restriction in the plumbing that lets air into the air box? I'm not at all familiar with how a Big Red's air box is set up but it sounds like the problem is not in the motor/carb end of things.

John

bobbyg
10-02-2006, 11:22 PM
Do you mean there may be something blocking air flow into the engine and it's dogging out (running too rich basically)? Would that make it start to foul plugs. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

bigreddaddy
10-02-2006, 11:23 PM
All I know about Seafoam is when I used it on my 1972 Mercury 115 6 cylinder outboard. The forum I was on at that time was dedicated to the old inline mercs. Half were for using Seafoam the other half said it was nothing but snake oil.
I tried it and it never did what others claimed it was supposed to do. Losen up and then burn off all the built up carbon on the pistons and cylinders.
It was SUPPOSED to smoke a LOT burning off all the built up carbon. Mine never smoked like that so I didn't try it again.
Some of those guys said they used it in their vehicles too. I don't know.

bobbyg
10-02-2006, 11:26 PM
Yeah I hear what you're saying about not smoking. I added the recommended amount and didn't see any effect. So I added more (obviously too much) and then she started smoking like a campfire and shortly thereafter I started having problems.

bigreddaddy
10-02-2006, 11:28 PM
Maybe all of the carbon that may have freed up using the foam built up in your carb, intake, etc. I would definitely take the carb off and check it.