PDA

View Full Version : new atc 70, lots of questions

sako
10-02-2006, 02:34 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and atc's. I live in Melbourne, Australia.
I picked up an 81 model atc 70 last week, it's in reasonable shape and pretty original. However I'm pretty fussy with my bikes so I will be giving it a bit of a touch up.

Tyres:
the front seems to be original, and needs replacing, while both rears are new and different. The front is more balloon like compared to the two rear tyres.
So.... what tyre are available to fit the standard rims? different tread patterns, profile etc...? anyone know if i cane still get the ohtsu?

if i was to replace the rims (I'd probably prefer not to at this stage) what would be the best option? and what tyres would be available?

RIMS:
The rims have a slight pitting, but nothing major. I will either powder coat, crome, or nickel plate all three.
will there be any problems with any of these coatings? is one better than the rest? (looks aside)

BRAKES:
The brakes opperate well but I will need to replace the pads.
Is there a brake shoe available? anything else I should replace while I have it all appart?

PLASTICS/DECALS:
The plastics are in good shape and I will hang on to these.
The decals/stickers are a little tatty and I would like to replace these with a replica of the originals. Are there any available? are they good quality? I saw a set for an 84 model on ebay that looked the part, but with out seeing them it's hard to tell if they're up to th task.

I would also like to repaint the tank and replace the decals with originals.

FRAME FORKS ETC....
the frame has a little surface pitting so I will either powder coat or paint.
The forks are good, but I will either powder coat, crome or nickel plate these once I have welded a light bracket on.

I want a round headlight like on the atc 90's. Are the brackets available? or will I have to make these?
I read in another thread that I will need the head light housing plus the lens reflector etc... which is available at dr atv?

the rear handle needs re-croming and has a few dings in it. Any ideas on how to get rid of these?

EXHAUST:
I would like to replace the exhaust. I have read that the cobra (not the loud one) is a good option. Will this follow the same path as the original?
I also read that there is a company in New Zealand which makes exhaust. They're called Musket Exhausts. Anyone heard of these?

of the two mentioned (or any others) which is the pick? I would like to use the original mounts etc..

most other parts I can probably paint or polish as I need to so hopefully it should turn out pretty tidy.

are there any dress up kits available for the engine? to bling it up a little?
I will change the oil and plug. I use motul 4 stroke oil in one of my other bikes, will this be ok for the atc? also how much will the atc take?

I think I've covered most things for now, but I'm sure there will be more
I know I've asked alot in one post but hopefully I can add to it as I rebuild the bike and let you know how it progresses

I look forward to hearing from you all,

blue27
10-02-2006, 08:30 AM
Here is a pic of the optional headlight/taillight kit. It uses ATC90 headlight and Taillight but its own wiring and mounts. The Headlight mounts are ATC90 I thinf. This is for the 73/74 model but all should be the same. I have one for my 73 to restore if need any pics of actual parts. I saw you are on Glamis also, A good site for ATC70 info.

gottahaveaUS90
10-02-2006, 09:23 AM
Hey Sako

Adelaide here - you can get alot of repro parts from www.atcheaven.com = who are located in Newcastle,NSW

Welcome!

ATCnut
10-02-2006, 11:52 PM
Hey Blue

Can you scan the page that has the part numbers that go with the pic?

I would really appreciate it

sako
10-03-2006, 02:38 AM
thanks for the info guys

ausatc70
10-03-2006, 06:51 AM
does ohtsu still make the sp wamulass??

blue27
10-03-2006, 07:15 AM
Here is a scan

youcan also go here to see online parts breakdown http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_section_detail.asp

sako
10-03-2006, 07:39 AM
does ohtsu still make the sp wamulass??

I'm not sure, I acn't seem to find any online.

I'd really like to replace all 3 with the ohtsu's

are there any other tires in the same size/profile?