PDA

View Full Version : '85 Honda 350x for 800, Good deal?

jaykup
10-01-2006, 07:01 PM
I found a 1985 Honda 350x for sale for 800 firm, but it isnt in the best of shape.

The good:
New Weisco high comp piston, unknown compression
New "bigger cam" unknown lift / duration
New Cam Gear
New timing chain
New rear chain + sprocket
4" Spacers in the rear
New Rims
New Clutch
New Clutch Cable
Cobra Exhaust Slip On

The Normal:
Good Brakes
No Leaks
Good bearings / Head race
Decent tires
Good plastics in the front and gas tank

The Bad:
Rear fender is missing left side
Broken clutch lever
Cobra slip-on is twisted where it connects to the exhaust
No tail light assembly
No front head light bulbs (assembly and wires are there)
Missing bolt for handlebars
Missing bolt for front sprocket
- (Probably a few others I've missed)
Sun Faded gas tank and fenders
no Decompression cable
Gas Cap Leaks
other small misc problems

Basically, from what I could tell, the engine was slightly modified, runs great, but the rest of it wasn't taken care of. It did run strong, but with 18inch tires, and stock sprocket ratio, it went through the gears very very quickly and didnt top out anything impressive, but would wheelie in every gear.

What do you think? Good condition stock ones on ebay sell from 1200 (cheap) to ~1600 (expensive, but very nice) to 2000+ for modified and great condition ones.

cragster
10-01-2006, 07:04 PM
Ya its a good deal. See if you can get it for 700 or so

aquapunk
10-01-2006, 07:15 PM
not bad at all, i'd go for it

jaykup
10-01-2006, 10:19 PM
Yes, at first I thought the same thing, "Oh boy, this kid was inside this motor??" so I asked him, Did you do all the work yourself? "Oh no, I took it into blah blah performance and had him do all the work, I have all the papers at home exactly what he did, but I don't remember all the specs.

As far as I could tell, it was just missing the decompression cable, and its pretty simple how they work, just holds the exhaust valve open so its easier to kick over. A strong enough leg is plenty. I've got a YZ490 with a shaved head and bored to a 510cc, now thats a monster to kick, and with no de-compression set up all together!

I'm thinking im going to have to put in at least 200 dollars to get it the way I want it, but to buy one on ebay for 1200 and drive an extra 200-1000 miles to go get it, would still come out to be more. It just seemed like I was paying a lot for something so beaten up.