PDA

View Full Version : 83 atc 250r flywheel wont come off!!

TtownJoeShow
09-30-2006, 09:29 AM
i've got a small problem, heres the story;
i need to take my flywheel off, i've tried the puller, that just stripped..tried 2 different "hook" pullers they just strip and warp! i ve used lots of penatrating oils, they didn't do anything! so now i'm thinking of cutting it off, the crank is garbage and so is the flywheel now, so should i drill out the center of the crank or?
do i need a puller to split the cases? pretty sure i do but not 100%
i have a spare flywheel and stator plate and need to buy a crank and bearings so i'm not worried about them! lol &$^% oh yeah, its on there so tight because its rusted on!

max
09-30-2006, 09:39 AM
On my 84 it was the same way. I stripped the puller. But.....I didnt know the secret to using it. What you need to do is start tightening the center drive bolt, then with a hammer or mallet (make sure you dont mess up the tool) give it some good wacks, the tighten some more followed with some good wacks. If all else fails. Heat up the rotor a bit and get that finger puller back on there. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!

The key to the flywheel tool is to tighten snug, wack it, tighten some more, wack it etc etc until that bad boy pops off. When you go back together, dont ram the nut down so hard.

max
09-30-2006, 09:43 AM
You do not need a puller to split the cases. Hold the clutch side and tap on the crank with a mallet. It will spread enough to get a screw drive in between. CAREFULLY pry all around while continuing to tap on crank. I dont recommend prying on the bottom, hense thats where all the fluid sits. Work it from the top of the cases.

TtownJoeShow
09-30-2006, 09:46 AM
now that the tool is stripped im not gonna buy another untill the next time i need to remove a flywheel thats in good shape. i have wacked it lots lol but havent tried heat!
Thanks!

TtownJoeShow
09-30-2006, 10:09 AM
ahh damn heat wont do it either! lmfao any one want a complete bottom end?? j/k

max
09-30-2006, 10:14 AM
Get her nice and orange? Try repositioning the fingers, hit it with some more heat.

TtownJoeShow
09-30-2006, 10:16 AM
wow didn't go as far as orange!! kk

max
09-30-2006, 10:19 AM
It will take a while to get that thing orange, just hold the heat on there a little longer than you did. Make sure you arent putting it on the crank, because then its going to expand.

TtownJoeShow
09-30-2006, 10:50 AM
i don't have the power to get it orange, only have one of them propane cylanders with a head.
i'll take it out to my friends shop, they should have some better tools to rip this damn thing off with!
Thanks again Max! it was defanitly worth a shot or two!!

hoser
09-30-2006, 11:17 AM
WOW

You try PB BLaster? Great stuff, sometimes you gotta let it soak a few days, heat will probably mess up the stator assembly so start looking for that also.

Screwdriver between the cases hmm I am pretty sure their are spots on the cases where you can take a BRASS punch anf tap tap tap the cases as you seperate them so you dont screw up the GASKET surfaces where they SEAL the engine.

Good luck.

TtownJoeShow
09-30-2006, 11:34 AM
WOW

You try PB BLaster? Great stuff, sometimes you gotta let it soak a few days, heat will probably mess up the stator assembly so start looking for that also.

Screwdriver between the cases hmm I am pretty sure their are spots on the cases where you can take a BRASS punch anf tap tap tap the cases as you seperate them so you dont screw up the GASKET surfaces where they SEAL the engine.

Good luck.
yeah i let liquid wrench soak a few days. had a stator from the get go. defanitly wont b ruining any mating surfaces, learned that with my second bike lol
Thanks for the heads up tho!~

y2kane
09-30-2006, 02:15 PM
I had the same problem with my 110. I actually made one at work out of 2 pieces of .250 steel. bent those. made it bigger 5 inch by 4 inch rectangle and out of 1/2 inch hardened steel. tightened it on the flywheel and "ping" right off it came. I had thought that maybe it was put on there wrong and that is why it was so hard to take off but now I hear that other people have had this problem maybe I should market my half inch pully puller...:beer

good luck with your pully

TtownJoeShow
09-30-2006, 04:57 PM
I had the same problem with my 110. I actually made one at work out of 2 pieces of .250 steel. bent those. made it bigger 5 inch by 4 inch rectangle and out of 1/2 inch hardened steel. tightened it on the flywheel and "ping" right off it came. I had thought that maybe it was put on there wrong and that is why it was so hard to take off but now I hear that other people have had this problem maybe I should market my half inch pully puller...:beer

good luck with your pully

Yeah you should market it!

i'm tryin to tear down the motor from the other side now, didn't try too hard to, didn't get it appart either but can this be done?
i'm thinkin of just buyin another universal pully or borrowing one...if i have to i'll just weld some tabs on the wheel if the pully doesn't really fit lol
i've pretty much decided to just buy another bottom end and use this one for parts. Not in much of a rush cause i still have the 85 250r to ride Thank god!! hahaa