PDA

View Full Version : Honda 250R Carb Jet

ATV4life1
09-29-2006, 02:56 PM
Hello all,

I recently purchased a 1986 Honda 250R and I'm wondering what is the recommended carb jet size/part for this bike? I did a search on the forum and really didn't come up with a clear answer. Thanks

TtownJoeShow
09-29-2006, 04:31 PM
damn near every machine is different. if ya read the sticky at the top of trikesylvania called carb jetting 101 er something like that, it will tell you what jets you need eventually!
good luck n gass oN!

xomatosis
06-22-2010, 04:39 PM
damn near every machine is different. if ya read the sticky at the top of trikesylvania called carb jetting 101 er something like that, it will tell you what jets you need eventually!
good luck n gass oN!

I couldn't find this sticky for some reason. Also, I need the jets (jetting?) for a 1984 Honda ATC250R. I won't pretend to know exactly what that even means but I am supposed to find out for the person that will be working on my bike until I learn more.

D-dub
06-22-2010, 04:50 PM
If your running the stock pipe, carb,and air box, stick with the factory jetting. you have a manual I assume.

xomatosis
06-22-2010, 07:51 PM
I do have the manuel, I located some information about the carburetor. Information is identification mark, type, Venturi dia, Float level, Air screw opening, Idle Speed, Main Jet, Jet Needle, Throttle lever free play. I will just give all this info. over to him , but I would like to know if jetting is the Main Jet or Jet Needle?

Book says:

Main Jet : # 158
Jet Needle : 3rd Stage

I'm guessing air screw opening is very important as well, says 1 - 3/8. 1 - 3/8 ? is that turns with a screw driver?

EDIT: I just found the self help guide to jetting, just need some basic understanding to better understand what I'm reading.

code200k
06-22-2010, 07:57 PM
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?55086-Carb-Jetting-101-Terms-Tips-and-Jetting-Theory&p=884525#post884525
in world class help

juggaloclownz18
06-23-2010, 07:05 AM
You will have to deal with the MAIN, Pilot, Needle position, and the air screw to properly adjust it, learn how to do a plug chop and read plugs before you start doing any jetting either thats the only real way to tell how your engine is running, "the seat of the pants" test only works if your very experienced with jetting and know for sure what your doing, but you always read the plug anyways!

Good luck, it can get overwhelming, just remember take one circuit at a time or you will loose your mind!!

xomatosis
06-23-2010, 10:27 PM
The Carb Jetting 101 is very informative, just one issue, the "click here" for pictures guide of spark plugs doesn't work :(

"Proper Jetting Procedure

The first step is to get your Main Jet dialed in. This circuit should be done first because it has a trickle down effect.

The Main Jet effects your performance most noticably at WOT. You do not fix a low throttle problem by changing your main jet. When the main is correct, there should be no sputtering or bogging at WOT.

Other than performance, the way to test your main jet is by doing WOT Plug Chops. The color of the plug will tell you if you need to do any fine tuning. DO NOT assume it is correct just because the engine appears to be running good. Remember, white and light gray is LEAN which means you need a larger main jet. Black and wet is rich which requires a smaller main jet. The target is a nice tan color. For a much more in depth explanation of plug reading and pictures, click here!" <-------

Also, clockwise for richer and counter clockwise for leaner??