PDA

View Full Version : 81 r starting help

coolair250r
09-29-2006, 02:04 AM
Just got a fresh piston and bore in my 81r and i tried starting it for the first time. i mixed the oil at 50:1 im pretty sure thats 1 quart to 2 gallons of gas? i have no clue what the carb should be set at (not stock) but it has a strong spark. evry other few times it'll start but will bog out within a few seconds the other times it'll shoot a wicked torch out the exhaust and backfire (the starting ether?) and any other time it'll simply turn the motor without firing. it smokes pretty good when it runs... i was thinkin the reeds are too worn out...i dont know how touchy they can be...i appreciate any help

TtownJoeShow
09-29-2006, 05:22 AM
sounds like your ratio is too rich to me... for 50;1 you want5.5 oz to 2 gal o gas...i like 24/32;1 which is 11/8 oz to 2 gal....you have more than 32 oz's to your 2 gal ! lol just alittle too much!

coolair250r
09-30-2006, 02:39 AM
ok yah your right...i thought about it after i posted and knew that was way off...i didnt mix the gas myself. my friend did it when i wasnt there and he said it was 2 of the little 2.6 oz bottles to 2 gallons. what i dont understand about fuel ratios is what is richer. say like is 50:1 more or less oil then say 32:1??? wouldnt for example 1:1 be half and half making 32:1 be richer?!?! less fuel to the amount of oil?...straighten me out here if im wrong...i was never good at math but anyways we tryed pulling the thing behind a fourwheeler to compression start it in like 3rd gear and she wanted to pop and sputter but would never fire up...with quite a bit of smoke.... any ideas???

traxxasx
09-30-2006, 02:53 AM
ok yah your right...i thought about it after i posted and knew that was way off...i didnt mix the gas myself. my friend did it when i wasnt there and he said it was 2 of the little 2.6 oz bottles to 2 gallons. what i dont understand about fuel ratios is what is richer. say like is 50:1 more or less oil then say 32:1??? wouldnt for example 1:1 be half and half making 32:1 be richer?!?! less fuel to the amount of oil?...straighten me out here if im wrong...i was never good at math but anyways we tryed pulling the thing behind a fourwheeler to compression start it in like 3rd gear and she wanted to pop and sputter but would never fire up...with quite a bit of smoke.... any ideas???

Try a leaner mix, clean your plug first. Also if that dont work, maybe you threw you bikes timming off on accedient i dunno somthing to think about. Recheck your compression see if all is fine.

coolair250r
09-30-2006, 02:57 AM
how does timing get thrown off on a 2 stroke??? i plan on replacing reeds, pug and the gas thats in it... any other ideas?

TtownJoeShow
09-30-2006, 04:46 AM
Timming only gets thrown off by the stator plate bein moved on a 2 stroker, or changing the spark plug gap. reeds, once they have a gap of 0.008 (well 8 thousanths) or more should b replaced (manual says 10 thousanths (0.010).
But yeah do what u r planin and drain the gas thats in the carb, it will probably take a few kicks to geter goin but it will run with the right mix.
as far as ratio's go; liters of gas: liters of oil (gallons, as long as u mesure them with the same) 16:1 is Ritch (lots of oil)
50:1 is lean (verry little oil)
i like to run 24:1 its leaner than recomended (20:1) but i use synthetic so i think its ok