PDA

View Full Version : Front axle problem....85-86 R

InPiEcEs
09-28-2006, 12:14 AM
I did my caliper conversion today, and things were good. I had a problem with my front axle/hub though. My old one (86 R) needed new bearings, and was absolutely not coming out.
I purchased an 85-86 350X hub/axle complete with spacers (which I needed too).
Problem is....the hub is locating too close to the fork, not allowing me to get the caliper bracket on.
It is off by 3/16 to 1/4 inch. If I back the axle out some, all is well, except that the hub has freeplay.
Are the spacers on the 350X axle different then the 250R spacers? That is the only thing I can think of.
The axle is fine, and I think the hub is as well. I have a headscratcher here.
Any ideas?

JohnR.
09-28-2006, 10:19 PM
I think the difference might be in the location of the rotor on the hub itself. I remember running into a similar problem when trying to run the stock 350X front hub/rotor on my 350X that has a 250r fork set up on it. It had me puzzled for a while and I ended up going back to the 250r front hub I think.

John

InPiEcEs
09-28-2006, 11:23 PM
Yea, could be. It's kinda strange. See, I had the axle threaded in, but not all the way. Just kinda threw it together to mock-up. When I tightened up the axle, I couldn't get my caliper bracket on, Not enough room between the rotor and the fork leg. So I grabbed my old hub that won't let go of it's axle. All was good. I couldn't really tell any difference in the two assemblies, but I never did look at the rotor flange.
Unless the spacers are different, that must be the problem.