PDA

View Full Version : Taking apart gas cap for painting

Holster
09-26-2006, 07:16 AM
Hi,

I want to get my Honda atc 125M gas cap powder coated but I need to take it apart first. Do they come apart?, I have tried to no avail...some help needed.

Tri-ZNate
09-26-2006, 07:19 AM
no they dont come apart

Holster
09-26-2006, 05:23 PM
Oh dang it, so powder coating is out of the question then as the seal wont like going in the oven. I guess the best option would be to spray it?

Tri-ZNate
09-26-2006, 05:25 PM
what I did was justlightly snaded the black off till i got to the metal and took it to the polisher. I like chrome :)

team-red-rider
09-26-2006, 06:05 PM
the seal comes off! u mean the black one on the bottom right?

Howdy
09-26-2006, 06:21 PM
The gas caps will come apart. Take and slightly and carefully bend the lip of the outer ( Black ) cover. I mark the spots that I bend for future refference ( see below ). Any way, do this 1/2 to 2/3 Rds the way around it. The top will pop off. Be careful because there is a spring, o-ring, and some other little parts inside. You want to make sure you see how it comes apart. This is for re-assembly later.

Before painting: Bend the edges ( that you bent to take it apart ) back in a little bit. Then paint the cap and press the top back on. If you bent the edges back properly, then when pressed back together the cap will stay together.

I know this works. I have done it many times ( 15-20 of them ) in the past. Normally I do it to fix plugged gas caps.
Howdy