PDA

View Full Version : 350x starting problems lol :(

random-strike
09-25-2006, 12:30 PM
well my 350x run awesome yesterday, parked it.

came out this moring, turned gas on. put on choke. started 2nd kick.

so i shut it off, wait about a minute, try and start it. won't start. doesn't matter where choke is, nothing.

after a bunch of kicking... BAMMMMMM backfire sounds like a 30.06 going off in my head.

wait a little bit, put choke on. kick kick kick BAMMMMMMMMM same dang thing.

whats the deal here lol

85 250sx
09-25-2006, 01:02 PM
sound like it might be flooded, try taking the spark plug out and kick it once or twice with it out. then if the spark plug is wet burn the gas off with a lighter after it dries put it back in and try to start it agaion

random-strike
09-25-2006, 02:21 PM
well i kinda did that

i took the plug out and kicked it a bunch, and then put it back in and i couldnt get it started.

im really going to invest $~350 into an electric starter conversion.

i just got this trike, and its bored and high comp and the compression release doesn't work lol

kb200x
09-25-2006, 03:05 PM
I would say you are flooding it. After its warm dont give it any gas or choke. After mine is warm and I shut it off if i give it any gas at all it wont start. It took me along time to learn not to give it gas when its hot. It seems there are alot of 350x's like that. They flood very easy when they are warm. They all have a mind of there own and each likes it a little different but most that I have been around dont like the gas when there warm. Its worth a try. :beer

TravEX
09-25-2006, 05:44 PM
My 350X had a particular technique for starting in various conditions. It takes a while but you'll get used to what she needs to start up good. Just takes time. And if you ever stall the motor when the motors hot, forget starting it for a while, let it cool down. That happened to me, and I kicked so much I couldn't hardly walk the next day!

Travis

random-strike
09-26-2006, 12:27 AM
wont start at all now. wont even pop. even pull starting it.

it has spark, it has gas. wont start. nice.

Russell 350X
09-26-2006, 12:45 AM
Compression any good? did you try putting fuel straight into the carb or plugg hole, ik u said it got gas though... hmm odd

random-strike
09-26-2006, 01:05 AM
i tried to put gas right into the plug hole and it didnt even pop that off.

would it start if the compression release was stuck open?

down should be closed right?

it did backfire really loud, but i cant see that destorying anything. it just wont start up

atctim
09-26-2006, 07:37 AM
have you checked for spark? Try either cleaning the spark plug or replacing it.

SYKO
09-26-2006, 08:43 AM
sounds out of time to me check that out

random-strike
09-26-2006, 01:45 PM
are 350x sensitive to plugs? cause the plug is used... but since it was a 4 stroker i didnt think it would be so sensitive.

atctim
09-26-2006, 02:55 PM
YES yes and yes - especially if it is a used plug. Go spend $3 on a new one and I'll bet your problem is fixed. 2 or 4 stroke - either one have plug issues, even if everything else on the machine is 100% sound. I personally never replaced one in my 350X, but nearly every other 4 stroke I have - I have replaced the plug at least once in the past 24 months because of an issue just like you are having.

random-strike
09-26-2006, 03:43 PM
YES yes and yes - especially if it is a used plug. Go spend $3 on a new one and I'll bet your problem is fixed. 2 or 4 stroke - either one have plug issues, even if everything else on the machine is 100% sound. I personally never replaced one in my 350X, but nearly every other 4 stroke I have - I have replaced the plug at least once in the past 24 months because of an issue just like you are having.

ill pick one up on my way home today.

my 200x ran on the same plug forever all i did was clean it off with my shirt each time. lol...

and it smoked like a chimney

Sargon2112
09-26-2006, 04:11 PM
I agree with Sykolincoln. If that new plug doesn't help, I'd check to see if the timing marks line up correctly. It might have jumped time.

random-strike
09-26-2006, 04:58 PM
I agree with Sykolincoln. If that new plug doesn't help, I'd check to see if the timing marks line up correctly. It might have jumped time.

can i take the valve cover off without removing the motor?

Russell 350X
09-26-2006, 08:40 PM
I would replace the plug right off. That normally solves this problem.

junkrider
09-26-2006, 09:05 PM
My lt230 had similar problem. Ran one time and never started again. Backfired like all hell, then started backfiring through the carb. pulled the side cover off and found a sheared key for the flywheel/stator. Replaced it, double check the timing, and ran like a bear.

random-strike
09-26-2006, 09:57 PM
lol well.

got two new plugs, um yea started right up easily and runs pretty good. seemed like it pulled harder before, but i messed with the mixture screw so im still fine tuning :)

its pretty wild riding this beast around in the woods and on trails. it wants to wheelie all the time. i need to run bald tires so i can give it some gas on the trails haha

btw, thanks guys for the help :)

bigred1981
09-26-2006, 11:01 PM
All 350X riders should know that's the price you pay to ride a 350X... kick the livin' #$###% out of it... if you're not.. then it must not be running right.

Dammit!
09-26-2006, 11:27 PM
My junker that just sits in the garage will start on the second or third kick. Leaks gas and oil like mad but it starts easy. :D

random-strike
09-27-2006, 12:03 AM
mine starts easy too.

when its warm starts first kick no choke.

when its cold, or first start of the day two kicks with choke.

ive just had a hard time adjusting my clutch but ive got it pretty good now :)