PDA

View Full Version : 1980 110-No Kill Switch-Wires........

bigreddaddy
09-24-2006, 07:46 PM
On the 1980 110 I have, there is no RUN/OFF switch on top of the thumb throttle. There are 2 wires just hanging there, GREEN and BLACK. How can I hook up these wires so I can at least get it in RUN mode? Can I use a regular automotive toggle switch for now? Do these wires HAVE to be hooked up for it to run?

bigred1981
09-24-2006, 08:04 PM
I had a CR 250 that had no kill switch when i bought it. (scary).. well anyway my dad and I wired a push-button switch into it and it worked just like a regular kill switch on any other dirt bike. As far as this goes... I don't really know being I've never been around any 110 trikes.. I'd say yea they would have to be hooked up to run and when you wanted to kill the engine.. something would need to interrupt the flow of electric.. like a push-button switch or toggle.

Murph
09-24-2006, 08:16 PM
my 110 ran fine before we hooked up a kill switch on it.

bigreddaddy
09-24-2006, 08:22 PM
my 110 ran fine before we hooked up a kill switch on it.

Were the 2 wires just not hooked up to anything?

troy
09-24-2006, 08:26 PM
i always thought that..when you cross two kill switch wires out the engine stops, uncross the wires and your engine will go into run mode...if this is the case on your bike (More then likely) you have some other problem..but how ever i would like some one eles's comments on this.. I know this is how my bike shuts off..

To answer your question, i think the two wires you are seeing are your kill switch wires

TimSr
09-24-2006, 08:28 PM
I dont know the 100, but usually the wries are open to run, and shorted together to kill it. An easy test is to pull the plug and check for spark with wires unhooked. Then twist the wires together and see if you have spark. Then you will know your run, and kill position.

team-red-rider
09-24-2006, 08:32 PM
yes on my 110 every wire is unhooked and thats run lol to kill it i just put my shoe on the flywheel (no recoil staret)

Howdy
09-24-2006, 08:35 PM
The kill switch only needs to be hooked up to kill the motor.
Howdy

troy
09-24-2006, 08:44 PM
yes on my 110 every wire is unhooked and thats run lol to kill it i just put my shoe on the flywheel (no recoil staret)

LOL,,,OOOOOOUUU living on the edge....not me that want's my shoe lace caught up in that...lol:lol:

team-red-rider
09-24-2006, 09:00 PM
i dont have laces theyre sk8 shoes so theyre cut off lol

xljimmy
09-24-2006, 10:25 PM
On one of my 110's i dont have anything and it runs. I runs in a open circuit anf when it is closed it is off so without a switch it should be RUN. Here is a wiring diagram. Maybe that will help. http://www.files.3wheelerworld.com/Wiring/ATC110x79Thru80.jpg

xljimmy
09-24-2006, 10:34 PM
If it doesnt run check spark. If is sparks then it isnt wiring. If not I would check the points.

bigreddaddy
09-25-2006, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the replies fellas.

I'm not worried about the kill switch being the problem, I was just wondering if I needed to have those wires hooked up for it to run. I still have other things to check.
The guy I bought it from said the top end was rebuilt about a year ago, but it has been sitting up for a long time. I cleaned out the tank earlier and need to check to make sure it has spark.
When I changed plugs the old one had a lot of black carbon on it I guess from running rich.
He said when it was running, after it warmed up it would die. He said it might be the coil. I guess we'll see.
I'm trying to get this trike and my 250es running at the same time, a lot of work. This 110 is for my son, so I want to get it running first if possible. Though as stated in my other post (carbon) I did get the big red running for a few seconds using starting fluid.
Anyway, thanks again for help guys.