PDA

View Full Version : kx500 in tecate frame

200x Basket
04-06-2003, 05:21 PM
i just got my spare frame in so i thought i would take some pics. I have listed the pipe and engine on ebay but right now i am hoping my reserve is not met. this looks too easy and like to much fun :twisted:

HemiChallenger71
04-06-2003, 05:30 PM
I wonder why no-one has built one of thsoe yet. How hard was it to get the motor in there??? and are there any interferences, and what year frame is it?

200x Basket
04-06-2003, 05:36 PM
DjCheeze is building one. i think the plug will clear the frame but hat will be the only interference. it would be a blast!!!!! the frame is a 86

Honda300ex
04-06-2003, 07:19 PM
Looks like your reed cage is upside down? :?

JohnR.
04-06-2003, 09:45 PM
Hey basket, I am considering doing a KX500 conversion rather than rebuild my 250 when I start my restoration next month. I just was wondering if you tried putting a kicker on it? If so did the KX kicker clear the frame? Thanks for your help.

John

djcheez
04-06-2003, 10:23 PM
the kickers clear the frame but your foot smacks the rear plastics. i am trying to figure something out with that right now. kick starting these monsters is no fun. maybe i'll just be pull started every time. this is a very easy conversion to do.

Kilborg
04-07-2003, 07:29 PM
Theres alot of guys running a very similar conversion over at glamis. I never cared for the kx500 engine (more just becuase they hardly ever updated it and the head design was poor compared to what it should have been). It will be a strong running machine either way though.

Basket, get some more detailed pictures of what you need to do and what already lines up as you go..Looks like a fairly straightfoward swap so far though.

yamaman
04-08-2003, 03:48 AM
killer trike in progress i see Basket!! ;)

Curtis-Tecate3
04-08-2003, 01:40 PM
Ahhhh, Every Tecate lovers dream.. KX500 power. I am curious as to what it takes as well. I have talked to someone rather famous (MX) in California that owns one that has been stored away for 10+ years and he referred me to the person that built it for him. The guy told me that in addition to a custom/modified expansion chamber, only a minor frame mod was needed and the rest literally bolted in. After looking at your pictures I assume the frame mod would be to clearance the spark plug. Please provide more info when you can. What is the pipe in the photo from and does it clear the underside of the gas tank... Just curious as to how it works out. BTW what year is the motor?
I am sure there will be more questions to follow.
Thanks..

Curtis.

djcheez
04-08-2003, 04:08 PM
here are some pics of mine in the works. just got a few minor details to iron out.

djcheez
04-09-2003, 06:46 PM
ok