PDA

View Full Version : 250r swinger bearings.

DeePa
09-22-2006, 01:05 AM
Well I finally hacked my swinger bolt and got my swinger off of the frame on my 85 r.

I hit the frame on the bolt head side of the bike a fair amount...is this going to mess me up? I took off around 1/16 of an inch or so where the swinger meets the frame. Can i just girnd it smooth then tighten it nice and tight?

i got those caps and little metal pieces (4 total) that go on each side of the bearing out. The bearing outer races are still in the swinger, but contain no needle bearings and doesnt look like it wants to budge. Whats the best way to get them out? Use a sawzall and cut a little line through them and hope for the best?

Thanks,
Mike

x.system
09-22-2006, 10:44 AM
I just use a socket that will fit in there tight and press them out with a vise, use a larger socket on the outside so the bearing race has somewhere to go. A press also works nice if you have one.

Kevin in Ohio
09-23-2006, 09:08 AM
What x.system said is the best way. I have also had to fix other peoples messes when they round all the outer race edges down and they can't be pushed out. On those I use a Dremel or die grinder with a stone and just grind through the race metal. Easier than you think to do, just make sure you don't grind on the swing arm steel. Normally if you take it slow you can see when your getting close as the race steel will "blue up". You don't want to scratch or gouge the swing arm metal by driving a punch in there to get it out either. I have the factory Honda bearing remover, it's like a slide hammer deal the has fingers that expands when turned. Only works about half the time so I always press them now. Kevin

Howard
09-23-2006, 09:34 AM
Get the bushings from X-system after the races are out.