PDA

View Full Version : 85 - 200s Engine quits after warming up

big-t
09-21-2006, 01:30 PM
I have a Honda 200S that runs great for the first 5 minutes but quits after it gets warmed up good. I can crank right back up after it quits but it only runs for a few seconds. I can let it cool down good and crank it again and it will run for a few minutes and quit again. ANY IDEAS!!!

hadar
09-21-2006, 04:21 PM
My ATC 200's gas tank had a bad cap that would not vent. It would run for a while then quit. The tank would act like a vacuum preventing fuel to the carb. Don't know if thats your problem but it was for me.

ATCGENIUS
09-21-2006, 05:04 PM
good catch, he is right about the cap failure. but also, you have a screen filter in the petcock fuel valve and if it is semi-plugged then it may run long enough to empty the bowl in the carb, and after a few minutes the bowl fills up and it will run again another few minutes. check the float in the carb and make sure the level is set right and that it moves freely, varnish can make the float stick. the first thing i would try is to crack the gas cap where air can get into the tank and eliminate the gas cap before going into the carb or taking apart the btm of the petcock valve and cleaning the screen. i hope this helps a little.

mark38090
09-21-2006, 05:25 PM
I had a similar problem with my 250sx, turns out it is the cap...

trikes4life
09-21-2006, 05:49 PM
same here cap! float adjustment possible

big-t
09-26-2006, 03:57 PM
Checked the Cap and it is okay. Cleaned the carb twice. Someone mentioned adjusting the float. How is this done? I don't see any way to adjust it.

Rocksoup
09-26-2006, 04:09 PM
Yeah, you can adjust your float by taking your carb off, laying it upside down on your workbench, and pulling off the float bowl. Once this is off, locate the metal tab that comes in contact with your float valve. With your carb still upside down, bend the tab up or down. If you bend it down towards the float valve, it will lean the mix out, making your fuel level lower in the bowl. If you bend it up away from the float valve it will make it richer, which is what you may need to do. Just be carefull when you are doing the bending not to damage your float assembly. Hope this helps.

dufrain
09-26-2006, 11:45 PM
Check the spark when it wont start,I have a 70 that does this ,I think its the primary coil in the stator on mine

firehart
09-26-2006, 11:49 PM
My 200x was doing something like that until I replaced the CDI module.

84honda200s
09-26-2006, 11:51 PM
same problem here i had crap blocking the screen in the tank. plus crap in the carb.