PDA

View Full Version : Steering stem bearings ( PICTURES!!!)

smyers33
09-19-2006, 07:10 PM
As I have been working on my rebuild. I just looked at the bearings I got and I put the one that goes on the bottom of the stem on, and it doesnt go down all the way. There is like a half an inch to go. If I push on it it wont go anywhere. Am I supposed to hammer them down to the bottom, or are they supposed to sit there? I'll get some pic's if they are needed.

bp739
09-19-2006, 07:24 PM
I put the bearings in the neck of the frame first (pound them in using a socket of the same size) then I put the stem through and used a block of wood to pound on(with a hammer) on the bottom of the tree....not sure if thats right but it seemed like the only way not to dammage the bearing.

smyers33
09-19-2006, 08:20 PM
Thank you very much... I'll try that tommarrow afternoon!

badasskfx
09-19-2006, 09:11 PM
slide a piece of pipe over the stem so that it fits over the inside part of the bearing. put the bottom tree in the freezer for the night before installing. use the pipe like a slide hammer. it will go on like butter. go to home depot for the black iron pipe.

82300R
09-19-2006, 09:20 PM
i replaced the steering stem bearings on my 81 r with the tapered roller bearings that you get off e bay. they were TIGHT going on the stem. i fooled around and didn't remove the stock race first.:rolleyes: so it was twice the work but they work fine so far. they been on there a while now.

DeePa
09-20-2006, 01:39 AM
there are differnt bearings for the top and bottom...try the other one

mike

smyers33
09-20-2006, 07:10 AM
I have tried them both, and I know which one goes where. I'm going to put them on later. What way are they supposed to go on there? With the little metal casing down towards the tires? Or up towards the top bearing? And which way does that one face? Thanks for all the help

clutchcargo
09-20-2006, 07:13 AM
The bottom bearing is usually pressed onto the stem. Try the pipe method if you don't have access to a press.

smyers33
09-25-2006, 01:37 PM
This is getting so aggrivating!!! Here are some pictures with questions.

Billy Golightly
09-25-2006, 02:29 PM
It looks like part of the race is still on the bottom of the stem. Cut it off or whatever you gotta do. The bottom bearing needs to seat flattly on the clamp. Install the bottom bearing with the taper small tapered end up, like you have in the picture. Press the race into the bottom of the frame steering neck so that it will fit the bearing. You'll probably have to knock the old one out o the neck if you haven't already to get the new one in.

The thing on the top of the frame is actualy a "cap" and can be knocked out with a punch or piece of pipe from the bottom. Or atleast should be able to. You'll then be able to press in the new bearing and bearing race. It should go in with the smaller part of the taper down, like you have in the last picture

smyers33
09-25-2006, 02:58 PM
Going out to try it, probably be back with more questions. Thanks for the detailed info!

smyers33
09-25-2006, 07:58 PM
That did it. Thank you so much!

Billy Golightly
09-25-2006, 10:01 PM
No problem, glad you got it worked out.

IrvSLedman
09-26-2006, 12:08 AM
Yeah, when i installed the strem bearings on my 200, the bottom race stuck and i hade to grind it down, then finished it off with a chizel. quite a pain in the arse if you as me lol:lol: .

smyers33
09-30-2006, 06:22 PM
I put on the top triple clamp today. Still confused about this top bearing. I got it in the middle of the neck and tripple. I have nothing else in there. Is this correct, because I can't figure out how in the world you could fit anything else in there?

bp739
09-30-2006, 07:47 PM
Can you post a pic...not sure what's going on...I did'nt have any problem with the top bearing....the bottom was a little tight, but not the top.:wondering

smyers33
09-30-2006, 09:19 PM
Yea I'll get a pic up in the morn.

smyers33
10-01-2006, 06:47 AM
All I have inbetween the top triple and the neck of the frame is the bearing. No other metal peices like I had before with the ball bearings. I couldn't figure out how that stuff would fit.

traxxasx
10-01-2006, 07:51 AM
All I have inbetween the top triple and the neck of the frame is the bearing. No other metal peices like I had before with the ball bearings. I couldn't figure out how that stuff would fit.

Its late and i dont know but is the top race still on? Arent the new bearing supossed to be in the neck?

smyers33
10-01-2006, 08:16 AM
Is the race the metal case that came with the bearing? If it is then yes it is still over the bearing. There is no way the bearing can fit up into the neck going from the top or bottom. Thanks for the help... Still confused though .

bp739
10-01-2006, 09:44 AM
There still has to be the outer part of the old bearing in the neck. The new bearing should be farther down inside the neck. With the new bearing properly installed there should be about 1/4 gap between the top of ther bearing and the top of the neck........the new bearing should be a 1/4 inch below the top of the neck when your done.

Slide a socket extension up through the bottom of the neck along the outer wall ..if it stops or hits something then theres part of the old bearing still in there..it should be smooth.

I just used a socket and an extension to pound the old one out from the bottom.

I wish I would have taken pics of mine while I still had it apart..

smyers33
10-01-2006, 12:26 PM
Ill go check it out. thanks

Wideopen872
04-04-2011, 11:26 PM
I am having the same problem. The top bearing seems like it needs to go down further.
I took both races back out and there is a spacer or something in the neck that allows the bottom bearing race to go up in the neck to far and doesn't allow the top to go down far enough. I took a punch and tried to move it down. It didn't work. Its like a sleeve or spacer. Had to be pressed in. I tried everything. I was pretty irritated. I tried everything, I think I am just going to try and salvage the old ones. There goes 40 bucks
83 200x full restore in works

bkm
04-05-2011, 01:02 AM
I am having the same problem. The top bearing seems like it needs to go down further.
I took both races back out and there is a spacer or something in the neck that allows the bottom bearing race to go up in the neck to far and doesn't allow the top to go down far enough. I took a punch and tried to move it down. It didn't work. Its like a sleeve or spacer. Had to be pressed in. I tried everything. I was pretty irritated. I tried everything, I think I am just going to try and salvage the old ones. There goes 40 bucks
83 200x full restore in works

Did you drive out the old races from the neck? Those have to be removed in order for the new races to be driven into the neck. All old parts of the loose ball setup have to be removed. There are 4 races all together in the oem setup. Two are pressed into the neck, one is pressed onto the stem and the other rides underneath the top threaded cap. All four of those have to go.

C Kerley
04-05-2011, 10:06 AM
This is what AllBalls sent me, although you may have to download it to your computer and blow it up to read it clearly. Your top race should go in the neck (hammered in with a piece of wood) tapered side UP. Run the fork stem up through the neck, and just slide the top bearing down. The bottom is the headache, the top will just go on. I've installed three sets of tapered steering bearings, and all three races did not seat fully in the top.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x77/bo-huntr/allballs.jpg

Wideopen872
04-05-2011, 04:42 PM
I had 4 pieces all together when I was done driving out the old ones. A "top" and "bottom race" for the bottom of the neck and the top as well.
With the new bearings, the top race doesn't sit down in the neck flush. It seems like it should. Hopefully I can up load some pictures this weekend. It just don't look right, and if it was down farther it would allow more threads to show on the stem. I bet its not even getting a full nut worth. You turn the nut once or twice and its puttin to much preload on the bearings, you can hardly turn.

bkm
04-05-2011, 11:44 PM
My top race sat up a little above the neck also. This is normal I believe because mine went together no problem. If I had to guess your bottom bearing might not be flat on the bottom triple. I had to slide a piece of pvc pipe over the stem to act as a bearing driver for the bottom bearing.

Wideopen872
04-08-2011, 12:10 AM
I will check that this weekend. I hope thats all it is. Thanks for the help.

3wheelrider
04-08-2011, 04:54 PM
It sure looks like theres a tapered bearing still in that top neck (looks painted like the frame)......

Dirtcrasher
04-09-2011, 01:36 AM
IDK what machine your doing this to? But the 350X does not want the washer, you run out of threads on the upper bearing adj. nut.

You have the option of pressing out the hole stem and starting over.

With a bare stem, it goes, sealing washer, lower bearing, upper bearing and adj.nut.

The instructions are not model specific and screw allot of guys out of a proper install (and money).

My trick is to remove all the stock stuff (balls and all) and stack it up, then measure the height. If it's close to the new stuff, don't use the washer. If the new bearings stacked up are quite a bit shorter, use the washer.

When pressing on the lower bearing you have to center the seal or that will get damaged as it doesn't fit well either. The washer (if needed) goes on first, then seal, then the lower bearing.

I've done them all that way.........