PDA

View Full Version : 85 Big Red hub stuck

TravEX
09-16-2006, 09:00 PM
85 250ES

I'm taking Fireball apart (http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=57289) and going to use the rear diff, axle, and hubs on my runner. I can not get the right hub (brake drum) off! I took the axle off the trike, and have beat it senseless with a 3 lb sledge and block of wood, and it will not budge. I would just put it on my runner like it is cause the brakes on Fireball are good, but I'll have to put new brakes on it someday and would rather do it now. Any ideas? I've got it sitting out there with PB Blaster puddled up on it now for a few days till I want to mess with it again.

O, the 2 phillips screws that are in the drum are pretty tight, I think I would strip them if I tried too hard. Will the drum come off if I get those 2 screws out? If so, do I need to drill off the heads of the screws to get the drum off?

Thanks,

Travis

badasskfx
09-16-2006, 09:25 PM
those screw need to come out. hope you didint brake any thing.

team-red-rider
09-17-2006, 08:59 AM
actually they dont HAVE to come out it comes out as 1 piece !

hublake
09-17-2006, 11:09 AM
The screws on my hub were extremely tight. I got a neighbor to help me and I put phillips screw driver in and put all my weight down on it and he put a pipe wrench on the shaft of the screw driver and they came out.

TravEX
09-17-2006, 12:36 PM
That's what I'll probably have to do. Or drill the heads off and buy new screws.

Howard
09-17-2006, 05:23 PM
use an impact screw driver, or big screw driver while a buddy hits screw driver with a hammer, i have also drilled the screws.

Howard

traxxasx
09-17-2006, 06:26 PM
If you can what i had to do to the crankcase screws is get some vice grips and grip the head and then loosin it, the screwdriver part would just strip easy.

TravEX
09-17-2006, 07:13 PM
I got the drum off pretty easy. That hub is STUCK! It will not come off. I'm just gonna use it like it is, but when it comes time for new pads, I'll have to take the springs off the pads and put them on over the hub.

This whole rear end assembly is like new! I can't wait to get it put on my runner!

Travis

ClayW
09-18-2006, 10:19 PM
You can use a 3 jaw puller to get the hub off. If you get a large enought puller, you can pull the whole drum assembly off. To get the whole drum off, you will have to reinstall the axle and maybe hub, nut. Its not fun, but I have done it.

TravEX
09-18-2006, 10:28 PM
I got the drum off, but not the hub. Everything on this trike has been very easy to remove, no stuck bolts or nuts, but not the right hub. I hate to leave it seized, cause it will be a PITA to change pads. Maybe I can locate a puller before I swap out rear ends this week.

Clay, I'm glad you chimed in. I was gonna holler at ya. What paint codes and primer and clear do you use on your BR tanks? I think this one on Fireball may be worth trying to use, and have an autobody friend to paint it if I can get the paint and stuff.

Thanks,

Travis

ClayW
09-18-2006, 10:52 PM
I got the drum off, but not the hub. Everything on this trike has been very easy to remove, no stuck bolts or nuts, but not the right hub. I hate to leave it seized, cause it will be a PITA to change pads. Maybe I can locate a puller before I swap out rear ends this week.

Clay, I'm glad you chimed in. I was gonna holler at ya. What paint codes and primer and clear do you use on your BR tanks? I think this one on Fireball may be worth trying to use, and have an autobody friend to paint it if I can get the paint and stuff.

Thanks,

Travis

Hey Travis.

The paint code is as follows:

MBC5962ALT C = BRIGHT RED GM

Thats the paint code for PPG's OMNI line of paint. Qt runs about $40+

That is basecoat paint job. Obviously you have to throw some clear on top of it too. Thats extra money. Harnder for the clear and thinner for the paint. Thats what all it would take. You are prob looking at $75 for the materials.
Isnt cheap, but I think you saw at TF what it looks like on the tank. NICE:drool:

Oh and by saying Drum, im refering to the whole 9 yards. Not just the drum cover. The drum cover, hub, brake assembly backing plate assembly that the cables hook too.. The whole shabang.:beer
Clay

TravEX
09-19-2006, 07:48 AM
I remember ya'll discussing how the color of the primer makes a difference in the deepness of the red. Do you use grey primer? Do you not usually clear your tanks? I didn't know if it would need it or not.

Ok, I understand what you mean on the brake drum assembly.

Thanks,

Travis

ClayW
09-19-2006, 06:05 PM
Yes, the primer determines the shade of the color. You should use a dark gray primer or black primer with red. I used a light gray to get the red to match the brand new factory sidecovers I had. With the darker primer it was real close, but not as close as I like. So I used the light gray and it did the trick. Took more paint to cover it though. Twice as much red, but it looked great. You put the basecoat's on first. Then the clear coat. I usually put 3 of each on. Looks like a million bucks:drool: . Just dont put it on too heavy. The first coat should just tint it.:beer

TravEX
09-19-2006, 10:21 PM
I went ahead and put in on my runner with the hub seized, maybe later I can use a puller and get if off to grease it, so it will make changing pads easier.

Travis

chris200x
09-19-2006, 10:30 PM
I had the same problem a few weeks ago on my SX. Never did get it off. Even after heating it redhot... Even tried the puller and bent the hub all to hell.

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=32356&d=1156266672

If you ever decide to try and takle this I still have the homemade puller that John made me I can send you. I don't think I'll be needing it anymore. :wondering

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=32319&d=1156208960

TravEX
09-19-2006, 10:38 PM
How much do you think shipping would be. Could I send you $ to cover the shipping and borrow it and ship it back? That sure looks like it would do the job!

Shot me a PM, if your interested,

Travis

TravEX
09-19-2006, 11:04 PM
Hehe, see how many miles we can put on it. John, looks like beefy enough to tug it out of there no problem.

chris200x
09-20-2006, 01:24 AM
Well If I have John's blessing (dont wanna take any business away fron him) Pm me your addy and I'll send it out in the next few days. you can just pay to ship it back.

Oh, I'm guessing the ES is the same size and bolt pattern as the SX so it should work. I'm still dreading the thought of one day having to deal with this side.... I wonder what makes them lock up like that?

TravEX
09-20-2006, 07:58 AM
Yeah, they are both 4/110.

Thanks, PM sent,

Travis

chris200x
09-21-2006, 10:44 PM
I mailed the puller out this morning usps priority. You should have it in a few days. Take your time with it as I am in no hurry. Be sure to keep us posted.

TravEX
09-22-2006, 07:31 AM
Ok, thanks!