PDA

View Full Version : '86 250sx

longbedGTs
09-16-2006, 08:57 PM
Im picking up an '86 250sx in a couple days. It looks to be in good shape except the front fender is broke and the gas tank is red and headlight cover is white. Is that the correct color scheme?
$500 bones and a quick trip to Ocala is all.
Here are some pics.

*edit* ...reading the mag article on main page...
These have an oil filter? :wondering
All forward gears are 'up' instead of down? :crazy:

Pete
09-16-2006, 09:05 PM
I think the tank is supposed to be white on the 86's, the 85 had a red tank and headlight shell.

badasskfx
09-16-2006, 09:23 PM
looks like an 85. also a fair deal. looks good to me i would grab it!

ATCnut
09-16-2006, 11:49 PM
Looks like an 86 to me. The stock 86 tank was white, this one looks to have been repainted. 85 has red headlight and black front fork boots. 86 has white headlight and blue fork boots.

86 swingarm is different than 85, looks 86 to me, but cannot see real well

Another easy to see difference is 85 has black headlight switches, the 86 are colored (white and yellow)

danteross77
09-17-2006, 12:02 AM
Mine is a '86. Tank should be white, fork boots blue. I great all purpose bike. Lots of low end torque. I have owned mine since 1986, and I have never had a problem, never done anything more than ordinary maintenence, and of course a front end swap. Very dependable.

longbedGTs
09-18-2006, 08:31 PM
OK, I got the trike and have taken it for a ride.
In comparison to my 83 Big Red, this 250sx is....
-more sluggish on takeoff
-very torquey after you get going
-engine gets hotter
-MUCH MUCH smoother
-more susceptible to get on two wheels
-hard as heck to kickstart
All in all, Im glad with the purchace. Its not perfect, but not totally thrashed. Needs all fenders, electric start fixed, and I think the rear brakes are dragging.

*edit* The left handlebar brake lever is just for the reverse clutch correct? Or...is it for the rear brake too? Its froze, yet reverse works fine. You have to finesse it a little due to the cable being stuck.