PDA

View Full Version : Tri-z head gasket

clutchcargo
09-16-2006, 07:09 PM
Ok, I just installed my freshly bored cylinder and machined head w/ new gaskets. I torqued the head to specs in a crisscross pattern and filled the radiators after reconnecting everything. And to my disbelief, I have coolant leaking from the head gasket. Actually, it appears to be coming from the front stud.. Any ideas? Is it really possible that I have a bad new gasket? I disassembled it and everything looks ok. The gasket does not specify which way it goes, up or down. Maybe there is a way to tell? I'm baffled and aggravated. Help!

MTS
09-16-2006, 08:05 PM
Put a copper washer under the one Head nut, and use just a light dab of RTV/silicon and tighten it down when its wet....no worries.

Bryan Raffa
09-16-2006, 08:57 PM
copper washer with acorn nuts work the best

twgranger
09-17-2006, 12:01 AM
I had that problem before too. I used that white thread tape and it stopped leaking. All i did was wrap it around the stud and it was fine.

clutchcargo
09-17-2006, 09:46 AM
If coolant is getting past the gasket and into the stud area, then that doesn't solve the real problem. Aren't you just sealing off where the coolant should'nt be anyway? Or am I missing something? It doesn't seem like the head gasket is doing it's job. Could it be that the head studs are so old that when you torque it down, I'm not getting a proper torque on the head nuts because the studs are stretching a bit?

Bryan Raffa
09-17-2006, 10:00 AM
try a little bit of silverseal in the fluid..other than that pull it all apart make shure it clean around the studs..I take it your useing a stock metal gaskit?
I have used the fiber yz gaskets witch seem to seal better for that type of problem..how bad is it really just a little drip? then I would put some silverseal in it.Ive done it in the past and never had a problem after, Even after fluid changes.