PDA

View Full Version : ahhhh the grips in my hand but were is my bike

always3never4
09-16-2006, 02:41 PM
ok so my grips came off and almost killed me when i was going into a turn i have a new set and i want to know how to make the stick GOOD! any help?

dgould
09-16-2006, 02:47 PM
Yes it will about kill you,,,,I've been there.. Make sure to use some good grip glue. It's cheaper than the doctor bill.

always3never4
09-16-2006, 02:51 PM
well glue didnt come with my grips ive heard you can use spray paint?
any other household items i could use im poor ;)

Bryan Raffa
09-16-2006, 02:51 PM
spray some spray paint in the grips put them on and let it sit in the sun..primer works good thats all i do never has a problem

Rm250RF900R
09-16-2006, 02:54 PM
Ive also heard hair spray works.

Bryan Raffa
09-16-2006, 02:55 PM
hair spray will work untill it gets wet!!! ask any girl!

always3never4
09-16-2006, 02:56 PM
thank you for the quick replies raffa and dgould i post a pic of my new handle bars with the grips on them later!

Dammit!
09-16-2006, 03:57 PM
The compound of the grips you're using play a big part in how well they stick. Soft grips will twist even with glue. I've used grip glue, rubber cement, spray paint and a few other things. With a hard compound grip, spay paint or grip glue will work great. With a soft compound grip, I have yet to find anything that keeps them from twisting.

I have an idea though. I just got some EVO grips that are a dual compound. Stiff underneath with a softer gel compound on the top so they SHOULD stick pretty well with a traditional method but I'm going to take it a step further because I HATE it when my grips move around while I'm riding. I'm going to get out the dremel with a cutting wheel and carve some small grooves in the handlebars. Both horizontal and vertical and jagged as possible. This should give the grips something to dig into and hopefully they will never move again. The tighter I'm holding on, the more firm the grip should be (in theory).

bp739
09-16-2006, 04:12 PM
WD-40 works well as an emergency grip glue....spray it inside the grip or on the bar and spin the grip around a few times, then let it dry,it will stick very well for quite a while, but once the grip gets wet you'll have to re-apply it.

super90
09-16-2006, 04:21 PM
I always use wire! wire them on nice and tight and there not moving.

blue27
09-16-2006, 04:36 PM
spray paint , wire and back when I raced GNCC I would weld a nut inside the bar and use factory honda plastic bar ends that way IF the grip came loose it would not fall off, you can ride (race) with a loose grip but not so well with a muddy bare bare end.

Russell 350X
09-16-2006, 04:44 PM
Gorilla glue works good. Or wrap duct tape around the bars and then put the grips on.

El'Capitan
09-16-2006, 04:49 PM
had the same problem....crested a dune, got a little air then i find that im only holding on with one grip. incedently i fell off the back breaking the flag w/ my rear-end. one thing i love about the sand...soft lands :)

85hondaatc125m
09-16-2006, 04:52 PM
I have never had this problem, but maybe Elmers spray glue would work. I have used it for my school assignments and it hold really good.

Fox250R
09-16-2006, 05:06 PM
paint works good thats all ive ever used..

always3never4
09-16-2006, 05:16 PM
ok so used some spray paint and one is on and good but the other keeps coming off and somewhere in the process of putting it on again it ripped :( rawwrrrrrr
so i said the hell with it and put my old oem blue bad boys on with spray paint and they are sticking pretty good it feels like im gunna let it sit over night and see in the morning. good ollll honda
im gunna wire them too.
thx for all the help guys i really appreciated the quick help you provide!

Mrs.Mosh
09-16-2006, 05:17 PM
We always use 3M spray trim adhesive. Sand the bars first, spray some on the bars, spray a little in the grips and slip the grips on. They never twist around.

Kintore
09-16-2006, 05:30 PM
Ive tried the paint, WD40.....

Ive found only zipties/tie wraps or wire works. Put the zipties on, sand them down with a file so they arent sharp and wear gloves. I cant feel them one bit, and it keeps your hands on the grips during mud. People at TF06 can say how muddy it was lol, and im glad I had them!
EDIT-

this is how muddy it was.
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h25/JoshTriZ/P6090244.jpg

Billy Golightly
09-16-2006, 05:31 PM
Pro Honda brand grip glue or 3MM "Yellow snot" weather strip adhesive.

Tri-ZNate
09-16-2006, 05:47 PM
Ive tried the paint, WD40.....

Ive found only zipties/tie wraps or wire works. Put the zipties on, sand them down with a file so they arent sharp and wear gloves. I cant feel them one bit, and it keeps your hands on the grips during mud. People at TF06 can say how muddy it was lol, and im glad I had them!

Absolutly. I've tried paint (never held), tried spray foam (held for about a week), tried moose grip brand glue (2 weeks), zip ties (worked awesome). Zip ties were the only way to get them to stay on at TF

mywifeknowseverything
09-16-2006, 08:14 PM
All you guys need is a little Gas....Pour some in the Grips...Let sit for about 20 Seconds pour out and Put on....Problem Solved....:beer

badasskfx
09-16-2006, 08:49 PM
if your running a thumb throttle go to www.blowsion.com and buy a set of odi rouge 90mm with billet thug plugs and aluminum lock rings the whole set up will run you around $50 shipped. the besr grips period.........NONE FINER!!!!!!
the wetter they get the more your hands grip the rubber! there soft and i have a set on my v fource and there over a year old showwing minimum wear.

ATCwithdrawals
09-16-2006, 08:50 PM
I've used rubbing alcohol, pour in the grip and slosh it around for about 15 sec, shove it on to the handlebars andmake sure you get it on all the way within a second or two when you start sliding it on or they will stick when half way on. this has always worked for me.

troy
09-16-2006, 11:17 PM
LOL...i replaced mine with hand warmers. Problem was the damn battery charger can't keep up with them. it kills my battery.

El'Capitan
09-17-2006, 01:42 AM
oh...i forgot to say, i bought a pair of scott grips (very nice if your looking for some) then the scott grip glue stuff also and its working great so far. been out a couple times and they are still on there nice and tight.