PDA

View Full Version : Dr650 conversion?!?

Aka_am
09-14-2006, 03:40 AM
Well I already have a plan for my 200s (lifan motor replace ment). Well I would like to do a trike with a swingarm. I know I can find one on here or ebay, but I'd rather not, save those for someone esle to cherish.

I have this 01' dr650, it's completely tore down, forks and triples are on an 86' dr125, something shatter'd in the engine, and I lost the keys for the ignition. So this is what I have. I may have lost some of the parts over the years but I am 90% percent sure I have all of it, they just in boxes, lol. I saw someone did a cr250 trike conversion and it looks freaking badass!!

I figure I can at least try and save this bike. Whether or not I finish or scrap the idea at least I'm kinda making use of what I have. It's not going to be done anytime soon, as lack of money but it will get done, hopefully.

The DR doesn't have a whole lot of aftermarket support, or anything, but 45hp stock I think is a fast trike. Now I should say I do have a GT550, that needs some work and is missing a seat but is in good condition for being a 75' that I could do something with that but I'd rather sell it off or part it out so if anyone is interested...let me know.

I'd just like some opinions, some people to tell me to do it, others that I'm stupid whatever, just voice something. I'd appricate some ideas, on the whole thing too.

I don't know what I am going to do for the rear plastic's, or the front end. I just thought about this the last hour or so and what the heck mind as well. I am going to ask my friends about it too see what they say, the loved the bike when I first got it, while I had it. Which the story on that. I got it from a old friend, someone in his family died and left him a whole bunch of stuff and this dr was one of them (the dr125 I have was too, got both) but he gave them to me, the 125 didn't run..he had it for awhile and road it too work and around, then it quit on him. intake rocker arm broke (fixed it and havn't put it back together since I fixed it, it's been a long time lol...no motivation I guess) and the 650 didn't run at all, it just would sputter and he was a short guy and couldn't touch either feet. He could of rode it but no real experiance so eh'. I think I thru him some money and some stereo and dj equipment I had that he wanted. the 650 good shape in a way, 280 some odd miles on the clock, sractched and broke plastic's dented tank. missing a grab bar, front rim was bent and tire was off center or something.

I finally got it running, had a friend's friend paint the plastic's for me...never did, had it for months (i was, 15-16? no car no truck, mom didn't want me to have it anyways) I finally went and got it in the winter pushed it home with a buddy, 15-20 miles in the snow. then the rest of the way holding it up in the back of a truck, of a very kind person that stoped. I found out he had been using a screwdriver to act as a key and starting it. It was ride it really hard, doing wheelies and crashing, burnouts all kinds of stuff. got it back with close to I think 1k miles on it? well it didn't start when i got it back. only got it running two more time's once it died second time something went POP! and sounded like glass shattering :mad: :mad: :mad:

So I have to find out what went wrong and replace it, or find another engine, I'd rather replace the problem which I think is a piston. and put everything back together, and start on the conversion.

Well if you read though all of that, I'm sorry :lol:

Brandon :TrikesOwn:

Aka_am
11-11-2006, 04:42 AM
Finally took the time to start on what I can on this project. No job no money, but I can at least put the bike together again and tore down the engine and find out what's wrong.

Well good news and alot of bad news.

Broke both exhaust valves off, piston is gone, the head is in good condition. It needs to be fixed but not too much work just has a gouge by a spark plug hole, and some nicks around one of the exhasut valves. I'm thinking get it welded at the gouge and regrind the valve seats. I don't know if there is oversize valves or what to do after this.

The cylinder has some scoring but the conrod looks ok. I can get a big bore kit with new piston, rings, wrist pin, and c-clips for 499$ But I am going to try and find a spare engine between now and spring. I'd rather spend the 499 on an another engine then fix this one. There might be other problems still, you know?

It looks like the circlips melted into the piston and the gouge on the one side is an exact for the wrist pin. so I think it slid out and that's what messed up everything.

Starting digging out all my peices and parts, I need a rear shock (gave to a friend for a project bike, dr125 and a rm or something mixed together lol.) and I am hoping that's all I'll need.

I'll post pics asap

SYKO
11-11-2006, 10:07 AM
hmm. I remeber those old dr's I almost bought one, but like you said there wasnt much support for them so I shyed away, I did ride one and was impresed with it, if the cylinder dosnt look to bad why not just go with the first over bore and a new piston, get new valves fix th head, I cant imagine spending more than 250 on that maybe 300 at the most, the only problem I can recall is that is an overly tall bike, so getting it down enogth to make use of it as a three wheeler may be a job in itself.
as for plastics go with a newer set of ltz400 0r 450r yellow plastics, since its a zuki, and a vented yellow front fender, that would be sic! call it a LTC 650! best bet is to pick up a roller trike (200x,250r,350x) so you can get some parts off of it. I can say if your really cheap you may be able to make it out less than 500, and Look around like a mad man for the best deals.

4cylinders
11-11-2006, 09:19 PM
hey, drag out the gs550. probably be better off with it. just switch the front end and swing arm.

Aka_am
11-12-2006, 05:29 PM
well the gt550, I no longer have. I traded it for some subwoofers, just to get rid of the bike.

Sykolincoln, you have some really good ideas. I'll have to take it too some local shops and get them to see if it's fixable and for how much. For it being too tall, I can drop the bike, alot. I'm guessing around 2-3 inches. It has a seat drop thing for 1-1/2 inch drop and then I can adjust the shock, and drop the triple trees down some too.

What's the height of like a 200x, 250r, and 350x??? like ground to frame, or ground to seat height?

Less money I spend now, more I can can spend later.