PDA

View Full Version : carb rebuild on 85 yamaha 225dx

crownpoint
09-13-2006, 02:56 PM
I just got this machine and its great. never had a three wheeler and its alot of fun. i traded some glass for it, i have a glassblowing shop. well after i replaced a blown fuse and rewired the leads to the battery, fixed the muffler and replaced the fuel line the machine ran pretty good for sitting for years. then the carburator started to leak gas out of the screw on the very bottom. i put a dab of silicon in there thinking i could have a quick fix and still take it out. as soon as i plugged that leak the gasket around the float started leaking. so now i have given up using it unitl i rebuild the carb. my question is this:

does anyone know of a complete kit to rebuild this carb (mikuni)?

i am hoping that someone else has done this and maybe they can hook me up with the part numbers and such? thanks

edog
09-13-2006, 05:07 PM
Once you open up that carb you mite find corrosion.If you do find this,you will need to replace the carb.

I bought my new carb from Yamaha,it cost $150.

Nice Trike...know I am not the only one in the state of New Hampshire with a Sky Blue Tri Moto on the board anyways.

crownpoint
09-13-2006, 06:29 PM
This is what i found when i opened up the carb. it doesn't look too bad to me. the old gasket makes it look alot worse then it is. i looked at the screws and took a picture of the worst one. that one needs to be replaced but i am not sure about the others. the float looked good but while i have it open i should probably replace that. also the needle valve that connects to the float looked ok but is probably why it was flooding so that should be replaced. i am thinking of getting a container of dip for carbs and dipping it and then replacing some of the obvious parts.

anyone got any tips?

NH represent

thefox
09-13-2006, 06:39 PM
I would definitely get some carb. cleaner and let it soak for a while. Unfortunately nobody makes a carb. kit for the YTM trikes. You have 2 options, buy each individual piece from your Yamaha dealer (costly) or buy a kit for a quad and use the gaskets and needle valve from it and buy any other parts from the dealer. I will check but I think it was the YFM250? that has the same gaskets and needle valve as the YTM, the valve itself cost more from the dealer then the whole kit would cost. I will check what model was AI used and let you know.

thefox
09-13-2006, 07:06 PM
OK, it was the YFB 250 Timberwolf that uses the same needle valve assembly. I bought the Timberwolf kit for my 200 (same needle valve) and it is working fine, the part #'s match up between the YTM 200, 225, and YFB 250. I think I was also ablt to use the throttle stop screw and gaskets. The kit is$19.99 from denniskirk (see link, it might be cheaper someplace else but I like denniskirk) where just the needle valve is $33 from Yamaha. One thing to note is the float does not come in the kit but unless it is cracked you shouldn't need to replace it.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=172169&store=Main&catId=111&productId=p172609&leafCatId=11101&mmyId=5228

unclefista240
01-13-2007, 05:39 PM
i have an 84 225 dx that had sat for 6 years with gas in it . the carb was in really bad shape so i bought one off of ebay from motorheadtoys. i asked them if all the parts would fit and they said they didnt know. i installed all of the parts included in the kit and all of the parts fit and now the trike runs great hope this helps everyone out. i paid 33.04 for the kit shipped.:w00t:

thefox
01-13-2007, 05:51 PM
i have an 84 225 dx that had sat for 6 years with gas in it . the carb was in really bad shape so i bought one off of ebay from motorheadtoys. i asked them if all the parts would fit and they said they didnt know. i installed all of the parts included in the kit and all of the parts fit and now the trike runs great hope this helps everyone out. i paid 33.04 for the kit shipped.:w00t:

Did you check to make sure the jets are the same size or do a plug check? They are stamped on each one, just because it screws in doesn't mean it is the right one. It wouls stink to burn up a top end because of a $5 jet.

traxxasx
01-13-2007, 06:24 PM
Just clean the carb up with carb cleaner and a small wire brush. Adjust your float and replace the gasket if there is even one. Then you should be fine hat carb looks fine ive cleaned worse. ALso you can go buy a sheet of gasket trace it and make a gasket.

Georgia Boy 666
01-18-2009, 01:01 AM
i hate that cork gasket crap. always seem to kinda crumble at the edges.

but i have the same problem with the gas leaking out of the bowl gasket. i will look into the kit for that fourwheeler. and the motor-head guy.. Thanks!!

Georgia Boy 666
01-18-2009, 01:02 AM
i see u have pbnation included in your stuff traxx- i am on doomsday team- i should prolly not post that here... oh well

kormos_93
10-18-2011, 05:03 PM
You could clean the carb, dunk it in some carb cleaner (remove all rubber parts first) and buy some gasket paper, just trace around the old gasket & cut out a new one. I would also replace all the rubber parts that you can, such as o rings on the bottom drain screw. And maybe get a new needle if you can find one at a Yamaha dealer. Good Luck.

swampthang
10-18-2011, 05:08 PM
Wow! look at the dates on this thread. Hope this dude got this fixed before now:lol: :welcome:

muthey
10-18-2011, 06:41 PM
One more thing for any new readers to this thread on the ytm mikuni carbs there is a o-ring on the needle seat that will leak even if everything else is right so be sure to check that when cleaning a crab, the seat just pulls right out versus screwing in. Went through this same issue for a year before discovering the fatal flaw

Speed Demon
07-07-2012, 12:48 PM
I also have a 85 225dx and whenever I shut it off, gas leaks like crazy out of the run off on the Carb . I replaced a faulty needle cable that attaches to the float and still get the same results... I put the float in water and it floats without bubbles when I held it under.. anyone know why gas still leaks from the run off?

Speed Demon
07-07-2012, 12:50 PM
Needle valve * damn auto correct

swampthang
07-07-2012, 01:38 PM
I also have a 85 225dx and whenever I shut it off, gas leaks like crazy out of the run off on the Carb . I replaced a faulty needle cable that attaches to the float and still get the same results... I put the float in water and it floats without bubbles when I held it under.. anyone know why gas still leaks from the run off?

Mine did this too. It sux to go out into your garage and find out your bike has been dumping gas all night long onto the floor. How I fixed mine was to get a carb rebuild kit. You have to find one for a Yamaha Timberwolf as they dont usually list one for a DX. All the parts are the same just the main jet it different. Use your original main jet. Replace the part in the carb that the needle valve fits into. That way you have a new needle valve and the fitting it sits into. also make sure your float hieght it correct. This fixed my problem but now I'm still paranoid and shut my fuel off everytime I park any of my machines.

Mackee
07-31-2012, 10:31 PM
I have a 85 YTM225DRN. Is the carb the same on my DR as the DX?

Swampthang, what year Timberwolf carb kit did you purchase?

Mackee
07-31-2012, 10:32 PM

How can you determine which carb you have? I was told a 24 and have read others who have a 22???

swampthang
08-01-2012, 09:35 AM

How can you determine which carb you have? I was told a 24 and have read others who have a 22???

Humm... I'm pretty sure that all the carbs where the same just the later model Timberwolfs/Beartrackers used a smaller main jet.

IronBear
07-10-2013, 07:44 PM
That's correct, the Timberwolf uses a 85 main jet where as the 225DX/DR uses a 110 main jet. Hopefully this kit will help me too.

barnett468
07-10-2013, 08:40 PM
All 225 carb specs pg 177. Manual takes 10 minutes yto load.

225 drn = 22mm carb

there are 3 different sizes 21 22 24.

225 manual

http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/Yamaha/ytm200-225-fm200l.pdf