PDA

View Full Version : Plastic restore

xljimmy
09-12-2006, 10:44 PM
I just bought a used replacement gas tank and it is sun faded bad. Anything out there that would bring it back to red. If not is there a paint that would work good on plastic and not react to gas. I would rather not paint it unless it is only choose though. Thanks

chris200x
09-12-2006, 10:58 PM
Hi, chances are if you paint the tank without sealing the inside with creme or a similiar product (redkote) it will breath and the paint will bubble.

You will find this thread helpful. :beer

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=24247&highlight=plastic+restore

InPiEcEs
09-12-2006, 11:10 PM
There are a couple of write-ups here on the forum on how to go about it.
If it isn't too bad sometimes Armor-All, or vinyl protectant, and also a polish and wax can get rid of a lot of it for a while. If it's real bad, then you need to go further.

What I did on my 250R tank was use light sandpaper to get the oxidized plastic down real close to all red, and went progressively finer.
When it was close to a final finish, I used buffing compounds with a wheel, gradually going finer, till I got it buffed out to a nice glossy, scratch free finish.
When you get all done, use a good wax on it, and wax it regularly to help maintain it.
If you can, keep the trike indoors when you're not using it.
The sun kills plastic, as we all know, so the less sun the better.

traxxasx
09-12-2006, 11:28 PM
Just wet sand it all alot with a fibe girt sandpaper, that what i did to my dirty stained fadded gunky plastics and they shine and look good now.

clutchcargo
09-13-2006, 07:25 AM
Sand it out. Start with something like 400 grit and work your way to 2000 grit. Then rub it out with a fine-cut rubbing compound and finish up with Meguiars Scratch-x. Make sure you use a lot of water when you wet sand it and maybe a little bit of dawn dishsoap in it also. I'm sanding down my black fenders and rad scoops on my tri-z and it's turning out prety good. A lot of elbow grease though.

xljimmy
09-13-2006, 06:47 PM
OK sanding makes it look nice and shiney but it is still the same old orangey looking tank. I think the sun took the die out of the plastic or something. Almost looks the same on the inside. I think it is a differant type of plastic then fenders. Ive had good result sanding them.