PDA

View Full Version : 200x valve adj tools

coolatc
09-12-2006, 10:26 AM
I see in the Honda manual that there are a couple of "special" tools needed to adjust the valves on my 85 200X. Does anyone know if these tools are really needed, or can you get good results using a standard feeler gauge set with a screwdriver and wrench?

The Honda part numbers are 07708-0030200 and 07708-0030300. Service Honda don't even recognize these numbers?????????

please advise. Thx!

firehart
09-12-2006, 10:29 AM
Cool,
Let me know how difficult it is to do. I'd like to adjust the valves on my 85 200x also.

Mobular
09-12-2006, 10:32 AM
Use a 10mm wrench and a #2 Robertson (socket head) screw head. Works great. Fits just like it was made for the application

ATCWRENCH
09-12-2006, 10:39 AM
I adjusted the valves on my 85X with standard garage tools and an everyday feeler gauge. the only problem I had is when it was time to re-tighten the jam nut. its kinda hard to keep the valve tappet in adjustment when you tighten the jam nut. one way to get around that is to get a boxed end wrench with two really tight 90degree bends in it. one down and one out, that way you can keep a screwdriver on the tappet so it stays in adjustment and then you can put the end wrench on the jam nut and tighten it.

chris200x
09-12-2006, 10:50 AM
You guys are confusing me more than I already am. I'm almost certian the x is the same as on my SX...

I big flathead screw driver to take the timing caps off. (if you run the engine they expand and loosin)

a 17 mm socket to turn the motor over to find the timing mark in the window.

10 mm wrench or socket to take the valves caps off

A feeler guage (I've found the angles ones work better) Also you need the correct size) .008 on both side on mine (SX)

a set of long nose plies and a 10mm wrench to hold the top of the valve and tighten the nut on top of the valves.

Now since I'm posting I want to take the oppertunity to ask a question as well.:postwhore

Once you turn the motor over and get the piston TDC on the compression stroke the exhaust side will loosen up first... (you can wiggle it with your finger) Once you have got that one squared away do you just go ahead and do the otherside... OR do you have to do another cycle to TDC? on the compression stroke? Can some one walk me through this step?

I adjusted mine a week or two ago and it's still ticking a bit too much for my liking...

sorry for buttin in...:D

DeePa
09-12-2006, 11:17 AM
they both should be loose at TDC...

if they arent, youre not at tdc on teh compression stroke

chris200x
09-12-2006, 11:49 AM
they both should be loose at TDC...

if they arent, youre not at tdc on teh compression stroke

Thanks.. I believe I did it wrong then... (meaning not on the CS)

the compresion stroke is when it gets tougher to turn the motor I'm guessing.

sorry again... :rolleyes:

ATCWRENCH
09-12-2006, 12:03 PM
remove you spark plug and the motor will be a lot easier to turn over. also remove your valve adjustment caps, this will also aid you in finding true top dead center. it may not hurt to have friend help you do this as well by sticking a screw driver through the spark plug hole to slow the piston down so it doesnt rotate past TDC. it happend to me about 4 times before i got a friend to help me out.