PDA

View Full Version : 250R instead of 350X - Not a race contest here!

Dirtcrasher
04-05-2003, 11:57 AM
I'm gonna grab something soon and wanted some feedback on the 250R vs 350X. I know the obvious but here's my take on them.
Seems like the X has plenty of power but can also be cruised around on. The R has gobs and gobs of two stroke shear acceleration and arm tearing top end - whew!! Does the R have to ridden like a CR250 all the time or what? I had a CR and it almost killed me a few times - is an R pretty much the same thing? As far as parts I'd bet there's more aftermarket stuff for the R than the X?
It's tough for me because although I don't like to go 5th gear pinned I do ride a track with large jumps and both my SX and Blaster are getting moshed when I land.
I'll assume the 250R is the supperior jumper??
Does the 350X which has to be heavier land smooth and is it flickable in the air or is it a tank? I think I need a hybrid!!

lushatc200x
04-05-2003, 02:01 PM
if you do all that you need an r.

84250r
04-05-2003, 02:15 PM
What year R you looking at? 81-82? 83-84? or 85-86? For suspenion wise 85-86 is the best. 350X im not sure,never ridden one? :? :rolleyes:

Dirtcrasher
04-05-2003, 03:41 PM
Can ya jump an X???? What kinda abuse will the suspension handle??
If an R I would want an 85 or 86.

TRIZREE666
04-05-2003, 03:46 PM
I beleive both the R and the X are 6 speeds not sure though. You said you don't like to go into 5 gear and pin it. So you may want to keep that in mind when you buy the R or the X. Me i love getting my Tri-z in 5th and pinning it. Only on the long straight aways around here. Me i'm looking for an 86 Tri-z because it has 6 gears instead of 5. I've rode both the R and the X. Me i liked the R way better than the X. But i also prefer 2 strokes over 4 strokes. Just my 2 cents. Either way they are both good machines. Good luck on buying either.

84250r
04-05-2003, 03:46 PM
Yes you can jump an X,but you have to remember its heavier. Maybe someone with a 350x can inlighten us on a few things.

KASEY
04-05-2003, 04:23 PM
YOU can do anything on a 250r that you can on a 350x but not the other way around,,, a properly jetted 250r can be ridden like an old lady without fouling plugs !! i do it all the time ,, you don't have the tractor factor of a 350x thooo ,, but you do have alot more topend,,,, ALOT ,,, I have both and both have there place,,, ideally you need both,,, he he he
you will adapt to what ever you end up with,,but in the end you will want both!!!!!

Dirtcrasher
04-05-2003, 06:32 PM
Well I've got a 250SX which is my favorite to ride but not made to fly, and a Blaster I can't really fit on that I bottom out on these jumps. So I need something that will be fun and manageable yet ready to fly 30 feet long when called upon without going SA - LAAAAAAAAM!!!!!
I think a timid 250R is probably the easiest to manage midflight.

I've seen alot of nice 350X's but alot of beat (called mint!) trashed 250R's. Still there about 1500$ to 2000$ around here.

jeswinehart
04-05-2003, 10:05 PM
What year R you looking at? 81-82? 83-84? or 85-86? For suspenion wise 85-86 is the best. 350X im not sure,never ridden one? ? roll

well, you get on down here don + i'll get ya a some time on mine !

john

i never rode a "r" so bring yours.

84250r
04-10-2003, 02:39 PM
well, you get on down here don + i'll get ya a some time on mine !

john

i never rode a "r" so bring yours.

Really John? I'll do that. You have good insurance,dont ya? LOL j/k ;)

NOS_350X
04-12-2003, 01:53 AM
not having to mix gas makes the X alone worth gettin i was jumpin with this kid on a nice r a couple weeks ago and with the extra weight of my x and me bein so light we probably weighed the same and his landing wasnt much smoother than mine but it was a little smother but very little

86350X
04-12-2003, 01:59 AM
I love both machines, I own a 350x because to me it is a much better all around bike. The r may jump better and be quicker, but if I'm out in the woods or in the mud, I want my x,,,, and when riding in open areas and on tracks, I don't have a problem keeping with the banshees and blasters, And the X can jump, I jump mine all the time, not 30 ft. , but I do launch it and it lands nice and smooth,,,,, Anyway, I am from mass. too. And your welcome to come up to Holbrook on any sunday and have a beer and try out the X,,,, Just PM me and I'll give you some details. Good luck with your desicion

Dirtcrasher
04-12-2003, 07:46 AM
I love both machines, I own a 350x because to me it is a much better all around bike. The r may jump better and be quicker, but if I'm out in the woods or in the mud, I want my x,,,, and when riding in open areas and on tracks, I don't have a problem keeping with the banshees and blasters, And the X can jump, I jump mine all the time, not 30 ft. , but I do launch it and it lands nice and smooth,,,,, Anyway, I am from mass. too. And your welcome to come up to Holbrook on any sunday and have a beer and try out the X,,,, Just PM me and I'll give you some details. Good luck with your desicion

Hey thanks, thats awful nice of you. Especially the have a beer part :-D Anyhow part of the reason I want an 350X is that I rode a frineds years ago and man was that thing fun, Wheelies all day, great power and adequate suspension.
I have never rode a 250R but like I said a CR250 nearly killed me twice!!
I'm in Middleboro, still finishing the track here - just got anther 18whlr of dirt last week. Soon as I get the Hoe working and the rain stops it should be complete. I'd love to have a couple of guys cmon down and enjoy some ridin with me and a beer of course!
Any riddin up there??

86350X
04-12-2003, 11:21 AM
We have a couple places that I can reach from my house,,, a lot of trails and a couple open fields and sand pits..... Its not bad, in the summer My friends and I go to halifax and wrentham a lot, therte is some really good riding out there. Right now a lot of the stuff near me is flooded, but still plenty of fun. And yea, The X is deffinantly a wheelie machine,,, my buddy was amazed after he rode, it,, he couldn't understand it pulling up in 4-5-6,,,, Ha ha,,,,,,

Dirtcrasher
04-12-2003, 11:55 AM
A couple of miles away I can throw a rock at a HALIFAX sign.

I use to go to some power lines there but they put guardails up real tight so noone can get in there. Was a cool little spot though.

Have to hook up in better weather

86350X
04-12-2003, 11:58 AM
Deffinantly,,, my buddy's father in law owns a trucking Co. in Halifax, we park there and there is a ton of stuff around it. It would be cool to not be the only trike out on the trails,lol