PDA

View Full Version : Air Pressure

Jaytrix
04-04-2003, 10:21 PM
I recently acquired a yamaha 1984 Trimoto 200E. It is in mint shape. It was stored on a farm in a heated barn for most of its life. It starts and runs excellent but I have a few questions...

1. I filled the tires with air to the recommended air pressure but after a few days there is not nearly as much pressure. What would you recommend the pressure be at? The tires look brand new with no sign of wear at all.

2. I think that I need new brakes for the bike. They are quite cheap to buy but how hard are they to replace. I do not have a service manual for the bike but I am familiar with replacing the brakes on a car.. Is it the same thing?

3. The machine is quite loud. Is this normal or would a newer exhaust reduce the noise?

Thanks for the replies..

Jay

FullBore
04-08-2003, 10:30 AM
I can't answer much of that for you, I can say the tyres on my 110 are supposed to be at 2.2 psi.

Hope this helps a bit

Nat

TimSr
04-08-2003, 03:47 PM
Proper tire pressure will depend upon the tire, and your type of riding for the day, but most flat profile tires run at 5-8 lbs, and are not meant to flex, while most rounded profile tires run at 2-5 lbs with plenty of flex action on the rears. Running fronts a little bit hard will help you get through mud and snow better, while a bit softer will give you a smoother ride. Thicker and harder tires require less air pressure to give you the same flex you get on softer tires. I run 2 psi in my All Trax, 8 psi in my Turf Tamers, and around 4-5 psi in the fronts.

ATC crazy
04-08-2003, 04:32 PM
On my Foreman, I keep the rears at about 10-12psi because I ride agressivly (sp.) in woods and asphalt. The fronts are at about 8psi.
On my SX I kept the front at 5psi. and the rears at like 8spi.

J.D.
04-08-2003, 04:57 PM
To answer your question about brakes, the front's are a bit hard, and the rears are fairly easy.

First let me ask, have you tightened up the cables first? When I first got mine(Same model as yours) mine were really weak, and I tightened up the cables and they were strong.

For the front, you have to take the cotter pin out of the nut, take the nut off, and slide the bolt out, then changed the shoes, and put them in. (Fronts rarely ever wear out because they're hardly ever used.)

For the rears, you have to take off the right tire, then take either a deep socket and take off the three caliper nuts, or a standard socket with an extension, then slide the caliper off, replace the brake. You may or may not need to take off the big black cover(held on by three phillips head screws) to take out the pad, I don't remember if you can do it like that or not.

If you need better details, call me(lol). If you lived nearby I would even changed the brakes for you for a small fee of $300 dollars.