PDA

View Full Version : Flat Track TT Tire Question - Mower Tires?

atctim
09-07-2006, 11:50 AM
Hey guys -

I just got off the phone with my tire guy and was talking about flat track tires. King tires and Hoosier makes real expensive tires as we know, so I was asking him about Turf Savers and the like for the September Sunset Ramblers TT Race. He is concerned about the small bead on the lawn mower tires holding up in a race like this. I know some of you guys are running these - Derrick - Kintore - and a few others I saw on Monday at Smith Road. Anybody know anything about the amount of sidewall pressure being put on these? Does over inflating help the bead hold up or what? He was wondering about if you guys have bead lock rims, and I said I didn't think you did. Any known problems - any tricks??? Please let me know any info you may have - I wanna be safe, and I am envisioning what would happen in a high speed slide if the outside tire would come off the bead - OUCH!!!!!

Thanks!

super90
09-07-2006, 01:48 PM
I think they might be a little too weak. There sidewall is very thin, if you hit a rock sliding it woudl probably blow out. Walmart has some nice slicks that seem really thick and sturdy. I believe the 33 a piece and have a pretty hard rubber.

atctim
09-07-2006, 01:51 PM
What is the name brand? What is the model name? Can you get me more info on the tires? are they ATV tires or lawn and garden tires?

TimSr
09-07-2006, 04:09 PM
A bunch of guys are running Carisle Turf Savers and you wont have any trouble with them. Ive got a set too, that TimJr usually runs for MX other than Smith Road. I ran them at Sunset Ramblers Flat Track on my Z. They are on standard ITP aluminum rims. These are like a 12 psi tire, so they are normally hard as a rock anyways. If they stand up to MX they will easily stand up to a flat track. As for coming off the bead, thats unheard of unless there is a crash involved. The sidewall on these will hold up better than the ones on Turf Tamers as most flat profile ATV tires designed to be run hard are rated at 6 psi or less.

Tyler
09-07-2006, 05:42 PM
Back in the day we ran those tires with zero problems. as stated above run em at 12 or so pounds and they will hold up just fine. 20 some years ago most of us ran those tires because not much else was available. We were known to use a tire groover to experiment many a time. Bottom line the tires work real good, are inexpensive and hold up fine.

Dammit!
09-07-2006, 05:55 PM
I ran them for a long time on my 200x. Not even MX or flat tracking but all kinds of general trail riding. Rocks, roots, you name it. Never even got a flat with those tires.

super90
09-07-2006, 09:05 PM
I never used them on a trike, but on a lawn mower mine have alot of holes. I really like the ones at walmart though. The sides are rounded so it looks like they will slide good. Ill find out what they are. They seem kind of heavy but very sturdy.

ChrisD
09-07-2006, 09:33 PM
I got a set of Turf Savers for my R. I never ran them before, but back in the 80's I had freinds run them through everything. They were great even in the woods. I never heard of a sidewall coming off. They make them in 2 and 4 ply rating. If you're worried, get the 4 ply version.

Kintore
09-07-2006, 10:47 PM
I got turf savers for mine as well Tim. I ran them at smith road with 7psi or so and no problems. I have also gone on the road(pavment) and done donuts on wet ground and never had a problem with it coming off. Or so I hope not! lol

I say go for it, you will love them, I do!

NewOldSchool
09-07-2006, 11:00 PM
accually....the links golf cart tires by carlisle are pretty decent.......thick sidewalls.....can hold good pressure.......and in the dirt they make for some MAD powerslides!

NewOldSchool
09-07-2006, 11:01 PM
my bad....they are for eight inch rims....i dont know if thats a problem