PDA

View Full Version : Might have to park it for the winter...

Nick_R_23
09-05-2006, 04:04 AM
Hey everyone my 83 ATC200 recently developed a bad knock. It sounds like its coming from the bottom end, near the transmission. I can hear it better from the right side. It stays about the same thru gears 1-4, but in 5th, it gets especially bad. It also does it while idling, but you cant hear it as well. Also if it is idling and you quickly hit the throttle, it makes sort of a 'clunk' sound like something catches when it accelerates quickly. It doesnt do this if you ease the gas up slowly. It also seems like it doesnt have as much power as it used to, it takes more throttle to get up to speed. I also took off the CDI cover and the chain was way more loose than it was supposed to be, but it doesnt appear to be grinding against anything.

Also the valve gasket is starting to leak, but it was just recently, so I dont think it burned up too much oil. And I also think the timing chain jumped because it seems to be coming up on compression sooner than it used to. My friend thinks it might have a burnt ring, but it gets good compression and it doesnt smoke. (but that still doesnt mean anything.) If I cant get this fixed now, ill just have to park it until winter until i have enough money to rebiuld it., which i wanted to do anyway.

-Nick :TrikesOwn