PDA

View Full Version : important maintenance tip about oil filter rotor

triker111
09-04-2006, 06:48 PM
Lately i have come across a few atc engines that have failed or simply seized up.It seems that many atc owners have never bothered to check and clean their oil filter rotors. The fact these great machines have continued to run for all these years is amazing considering this was supposed to be done every 30 days! I have seen some engines with an inch or two of caked on gunk! This is an easy job 1st drain your oil 2nd remove the right foot peg. 3rd remove right crankcase cover 4th remove oil filter rotor cover youll see 3 10mm nuts clean the inside of the rotor finally install neww gasket and slap it back together. This will save a lot of atcs your atc will love you for it lol.:p

rugman316
10-02-2009, 10:48 PM
Would a dirty clogged up one cause poor engine performance? Is there any symptoms that show up when it needs to be cleaned? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

aldochina
10-03-2009, 12:07 AM
I have read this in the manuels also. I think people dont do it because they are scared to remove the right cover, or just dont want to have to buy a new gasket all the time.

theiizz08
10-03-2009, 12:12 AM
Is this on all motors ?

aldochina
10-03-2009, 12:21 AM
not sure, you would have to check your manual under mantinance.

Dirtcrasher
10-03-2009, 12:38 PM
There are no symptoms.

Step 5) Clean the oil screen while your inside there.

I'm GLAD most people don't clean them. They'll just strip all the bolts or put something back together wrong :lol:

RedRider_AK
10-03-2009, 12:39 PM
Dirtcrasher has gotten more and more grumpy the longer he's on this site :lol:

Lboya
10-03-2009, 02:22 PM
Where's the best place to get replacement gaskets at? Internet/Dealer?

lndy650
10-03-2009, 02:44 PM
Dirtcrasher has gotten more and more grumpy the longer he's on this site :lol:
ya but hes right :lol:

Dirtcrasher
10-03-2009, 03:47 PM
Lets see, every motor I end up with:

For today, will will discuss only the right engine cover shens

1) A too short bolt is installed and strips the threads.
2) A too long bolt has been installed and breaks the CENTER case casting.
3) The kicker gear alignment and return spring MUST be rocket science.
4) Any left hand threads are always stripped, usually on the 86/87 200X crank :(
5) The dowel pins will have pliers and vice grip damage.
6) The gasket will be reused and covered in hi heat red silicone which is now throughout the entire lubricating system.
7) The reason for the excessive silicone is due to the screwdrivers that got jammed behind the cover when the "mechanic" forget to remove one bolt.

:lol: I'm smiling when I post these things, you may think I'm grumpy, but it's ALL true stuff......

I guess it all comes down to, if you don't have a full and clear understanding of how things work, DON'T TOUCH IT!! :D

3Razors
10-03-2009, 03:58 PM
Lmao sooo true Dirtcrasher. Most people do more harm than good when fixing there bikes.

daniel_250r
10-03-2009, 04:32 PM
word to that, my big red was FULLLLLLLLL of clutch dust trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro from the rotor, and it ruined the piston as well yay for noobs!!!!!

Kwattro
10-04-2009, 12:49 AM
Does my '85 250ES and '83 185s have these rotors?

greythorn3
10-04-2009, 04:51 AM
its good to end up with extra bolts when you take somthing off.. then its lighter afterwards.

Dirtcrasher
10-04-2009, 12:01 PM
Does my '85 250ES and '83 185s have these rotors?

Your 185 probably does but the ES has an external filter and an internal screen......

brapp
10-04-2009, 03:35 PM
i machined one completly off on an 86 200x i had and striped allthe internal rotating weight i could and it reved like a modern 450 verry snotty

Dirtcrasher
10-04-2009, 03:58 PM
OT but:

^ More info we can understand Brappster, PLEASE!! :D

Shaved what? Removed the oil rotor - it feeds the oil into the case oil gallery so you couldn't have eliminated that. You would have had to make a piece up to keep the oil path running and that seems like allot of work for a few grams of weight loss??

Shaved the crank halves on a lathe?? What else, there's no counter balancer on these....

I imagine just the flywheel??

Sometimes I wonder if the lightened flywheel is better, without the rotating mass it does rev faster but I seem to have lost all my low end torque. It doesn't stall like some people say though........

RedRider_AK
10-04-2009, 11:53 PM
I guess it all comes down to, if you don't have a full and clear understanding of how things work, DON'T TOUCH IT!! :D

Heh, was the engine I sent you really that bad Dirt?

Then again, I wasn't the original owner, who was the one who did the sweet welded-on exhaust header and screwed up whatever you found wrong with it, most likely.

Guy was a straight up idjit. :drool: