PDA

View Full Version : Can I use the same metal head gasket that I took off

svo58
09-03-2006, 12:23 PM
I took my head off of my 250es big red and there are 3 metal gaskets ,My question is can I use them again or do I need new ones.If they are still good do i put anything on them when I put them back on(like form-a gasket).Any info. would be great.

Thanks....svo58

edog
09-03-2006, 12:32 PM
Probily,but I wouldn't chance it.When you tighten the head the gasket becomes flatten.

dreadhed
09-03-2006, 12:39 PM
If they are copper you can heat them with a propane torch & then dip them in water. You can then use it again.

Bryan Raffa
09-03-2006, 12:54 PM
I have done it before.. I just re tourk alittle harder than before, But thats only in a pinch, Its recomended that you use a brand new one

maggiesboy
09-03-2006, 01:55 PM
If they are copper you can heat them with a propane torch & then dip them in water. You can then use it again.

10-4 on dat. I've seen this done, and have done it myself on the chitlins quadcycle at the racetrack. Works good. If you are unsure, just replace it, that way any second thought leaves yer head.

firefirefire90
09-03-2006, 02:04 PM
YEah you can use them, and Raffa...Did you not mention that Mike's GF does not beat mine? I PWND YOU MICHAL...and i also agree on the heating and dipping theorum

Bryan Raffa
09-03-2006, 02:07 PM
nope she dont... DAM!!! them west coast girl's got to love em..

Beer_Smurf
09-03-2006, 03:30 PM
Yes you can re-use them if there is no other choice, AKA people are shooting at you.
No it is not a good idea.
When a copper gasket gets used the first time it gets "work hardened".
The second time you try and use it, the gasket is much harder and will not seal nearly as well.
Overtightening your head is silly.
You don't want to risk your expensive cylinder over a cheap gasket.
In theory you can heat the gasket to the exact right temperature and anneal it by cooling it quickly.
In reality you never get the whole thing to that exact right temp at the same time.

How much money is having your next ride ruined by a blown head gasket and having to take your motor apart again really worth?

edog
09-03-2006, 04:20 PM
Yes you can re-use them if there is no other choice, AKA people are shooting at you.
No it is not a good idea.
When a copper gasket gets used the first time it gets "work hardened".
The second time you try and use it, the gasket is much harder and will not seal nearly as well.
Overtightening your head is silly.
You don't want to risk your expensive cylinder over a cheap gasket.
In theory you can heat the gasket to the exact right temperature and anneal it by cooling it quickly.
In reality you never get the whole thing to that exact right temp at the same time.

How much money is having your next ride ruined by a blown head gasket and having to take your motor apart again really worth?

Amen brother.......