PDA

View Full Version : 85 r swingarm bolt

DeePa
09-01-2006, 05:56 PM
The good news is that it is not frozen and i can easly spin it with a ratchet.

Now what is the best way to get it out? I havent tried much more than banging with a rubber mallet...

The whole rear axle/carrier is still installed in the swing arm. Should i take all of that out first? I already took the axle lock nut off an such so it wont be hard. I just wanted to see if i could get it apart in one piece.

Any techniques to getting it out?

Mike

Ordo
09-01-2006, 06:42 PM
Even though you can turn it with a ratchet doesn't mean that it isn't frozen. The collars are what gets frozen to the bolt. Getting them to slide out is the fun part. There are at least a dozen ways to get them out. Do a search for removing pivot bolt, swing arm bolt, etc.. You'll find info in one of the threads. Oh!! Good luck getting it out.

deathman53
09-01-2006, 06:50 PM
get a set of brass punches, thread die or thread repairing file, hit the bolt, if it moves some, hit the other side back, do that a few times, then hit it more and more in and let the brass punch go into the swinger and hit about 3/4 out, lube it, do this 2 more times. But the fun part is getting it to move. I've had to cut swingers out remove them. You may have to repair the threads, that is why to get the tool to do so. the size is 14mm 1.5 pitch

Yamahondaman
09-01-2006, 06:55 PM
turn the bike upside down...... SAWZALL it out and install a Stainless bolt ......
i have ( ONE ) LEFT !!!

250r'en +TCB
09-01-2006, 07:42 PM
Impact gun it for a while, that vibration does wonders!!! After that I just pounded mine with a rubber malet, then a little impact hun in between to loosen it up......

When you get it out, wire wheel is down then use marine lubrication on it! That marine lube is the best, it's desinded to take constant water (even salt water!) and it prevents corrosion!

ScottZJ
09-01-2006, 08:29 PM
Yeah dont be fooled by it moving "freely" as you arent in the clear yet. Mine would spin all day long but it was still frozen around the bearing area.

firefirefire90
09-01-2006, 09:24 PM
I thought the hardest part was that the Nut was frozen the the actual bolt. This is more of a two person job. Just get two people on oposite sides with 19mm spanners and then one guy hold it while the other guy jumps on his. I found a good way to also do it before is to take the rear shock off...this helped me when i took it off. How much for the SS bolt Yammer?

DeePa
09-02-2006, 05:53 PM
well no luck today.

i rented an electric jackhammer...nothing

im going to have to cut it out. But in the meantime today all thats left of the 250r is a frame and swinger attached. Its needs a little freshening up...

Im thinking about all black fenders/tank with a black or white frame. Maybe a white seat...

i gotta think of a cool color scheme.

mike

ScottZJ
09-02-2006, 09:23 PM
Talk to Xsystem on here and he can hook you up with the poly type bushings that will rid you of ever having a frozen bolt ever again. You dont even need to get new bearings for it.

DeePa
09-02-2006, 10:15 PM
i already bought them...they are the reason i was trying to take the swingarm bolt out....

oh well, the 350x will be getting some run time this winter

brrcuda
09-02-2006, 10:22 PM
I had to cut my bolt off too. What a pain. Used a standard hacksaw with a few good blades. I spread the frame from the swingarm just enough to fit in there.

Once I got it off - i could not get the bolt out of the swinger. The bike shop didn't want to press it out for me so i bought a new swinger.

Those hondas are the worst for that. Both my old 200x and 250r were seized. Both my yamahas and kawasaki slide right out without any effort and the tecate was even left outside in the northeast weather for a few years.

A black bike would look sweet with maybe a red frame color. Only thing about black bikes is it looks sweet and slick when shiny and new but you see every scratch when you start riding it.