PDA

View Full Version : 2 brand new OEM 250R shrouds broken!

Dammit!
08-31-2006, 08:39 PM
I put my new OEM shrouds on 2 rides ago and noticed this morning that both of them are broken around the bottom bolt holes. Never crashed, never hit, never over-tightened, nothing. Just broke for no apparent reason. I'm pissed. :mad:

Anybody else run into this with new shrouds? Guess it's a good thing I just picked up another set of Maiers....

3Razors
08-31-2006, 08:56 PM
That sucks!! Were you using the oem special Honda washers on them?

Dammit!
08-31-2006, 09:06 PM
Yep! OEM everything.

Damn it.

ScottZJ
08-31-2006, 09:10 PM
I am going to put rubber bushing/washers around them from the underneath and top to ensure this doesnt happen to my new ones.

Dammit!
08-31-2006, 09:12 PM
I was thinking about calling service honda and see if there's any kind of warranty against manufacturer defect or anything. Not likely but maybe worth a shot.

Aussieduner
08-31-2006, 09:22 PM
Hey Doug can you get a pic of that uploaded im curious to have a look,i have quite a lot of old 250r shrouds with stress cracks etc and want to see if yours are a match.

Aussie

SET THE STAGE
08-31-2006, 09:24 PM
if there is any kind of manufacture defect and you get new ones, maybe find some rubber washers?

Red Rider
09-01-2006, 12:48 AM
I put my new OEM shrouds on 2 rides ago and noticed this morning that both of them are broken around the bottom bolt holes. Never crashed, never hit, never over-tightened, nothing. Just broke for no apparent reason. I'm pissed. :mad:Hey Dammit!, do you by any chance wear motorcycle boots when you ride? I'm sure you would have noticed if they were snagging on that bottom corner of the shroud, right next to the bottom bolt hole. My original shrouds did that, and I had the same result. When I finally got new OEM shrouds, before I put them on, I heated up that corner with a blow dryer, and bent them in so the top of my boots wouldn't snag on them. It worked for a few years, then they still broke from age. :cry:

Dammit!
09-01-2006, 12:57 AM
Hey Dammit!, do you by any chance wear motorcycle boots when you ride?

Nope. Foot protection by Reebok. :lol:

There really is no cause for it and both sides broke in the exact same manor. Bad batch maybe. I don't know. I'm going to at least try to get service honda to replace them but I'd be amazed if it worked. Even if they do, I'll probably never install them. Maier shrouds from here on out for me. They don't look as good or fit as well but at least they're strong.

I sent you a pm by the way. :beer

DeePa
09-01-2006, 01:05 AM
is it on the black tank? maybe its something to do with the newest run of tanks

mike

Mr. Sandman
09-01-2006, 01:39 AM
I put new OEM shrouds on about 5 years ago and they developed hairline cracks at the top holes about a year or so ago and I don't ride all that much and my trike is always garaged. It's just a piss-poor design at the stress points I guess, and I'll never go with any Maier plastic so I'll live with the cracks.

3Razors
09-01-2006, 02:34 AM
Its always painfull to see new oem shiny plastic to get scratched or cracked:( Good thing those arent discontinued yet. Cross fingers on that one!

Dammit!
09-01-2006, 06:51 PM
Just got a response back from service honda. They won't help me because it's been longer than six months since I purchased them. Guess I should have put them on the trike as soon as I got them. Geez what a waste of $80...

Dammit!
09-01-2006, 10:04 PM
Hey Doug can you get a pic of that uploaded im curious to have a look,i have quite a lot of old 250r shrouds with stress cracks etc and want to see if yours are a match.

Aussie

Here you go.

:mad:

team-red-rider
09-01-2006, 10:11 PM
WTF THOSE ARE BRAND NEW AND DID THAT?> hey y dont u order new ones at your dealer and take um back and say theyre broken

Fox250R
09-02-2006, 04:34 PM
These are my old ones...Few cracks and warn somewhat but still pretty good for somebody out here who needs a pair :)

Beer_Smurf
09-02-2006, 06:00 PM
I have a question?
You guys keep calling these parts new.
Do they have a recent casting/cure date?
Plastic gets old and brittle, on the trike or on the shelf.
Do we have twenty year old plastic cracking like twenty year old plastic is supposed to?

Dammit!
09-02-2006, 10:03 PM
Judging by the packaging, these plastics are not 20 years old. Everything was fresh as could be. No dust, no fading, nothing.