PDA

View Full Version : When does an accelerator pump kick in?

Tri-ZNate
08-30-2006, 09:39 PM
Going to be upgrading to a 300ex carb and am curious when this accelerator pump will show itself. Some have said that it is right at idle so it starts easy on cold starts, others have said it kicks in at top end to give that extra punch. Can someone please clearify this once and for all for me?

ATCR250R
08-30-2006, 10:20 PM
Well I had it on my 400EX andd I thought all it was was like when you hit the throttle it pumps gas to help start it. It was good for me as I removed the choke in mine.

Mike_Ham_250R
08-30-2006, 10:33 PM
Well my 400ex starts extremely easy when it kills after its Hot and fairly easy in the cold but I have never ridden any quad comparable without one so i dunno.

hrc85250r
08-31-2006, 12:22 AM
an accelerator pump is just that, it pumps gas in to help it accelerate. all it is , is a little plunger linked to the throttle on the carb, when you punch it all the way open, it actually squirts one big shot of gas into the carb, and thats it, it doesnt continuously dump gas in, it only pumps when you jab the throttle wide open, thats why you give it a jab or 2 to help it start, because you are pumping raw gas into the cylinder, and thats how alot of idiots flood their motors and why you should never just punch the throttle on any high performance four stroke when its not running unless you know what your doing, because you will flood it. now alot of stock four strokes dont have it, but FCR's and edelbrocks do have an accelerator pump as do others.