PDA

View Full Version : 200s ignition troubles

longbedGTs
08-25-2006, 09:32 PM
Firstly, Im real glad to be a member here. Im sure I will be here for a long stay. :w00t:
I just bought my second ATC. Its an 82 Honda 200s found on eBay. The motor was started and ran good, so I bought it. An hour later, I tried to start it and got nothing but a sore arm. New parts include pulsar box and generator, coil, and sparkplug. On my trip home from Kissimmee FL, it was raining real hard so Im suspecting water got somewhere.
It is getting fuel, compression, and spark. It still wont start and all I can think of is timing. Is the pulsar generator(spinning part on camshaft) supposed to be able to move by hand with the motor off? It turns with little resistance in either direction.
Any ideas?
TIA~

Aka_am
08-30-2006, 01:08 AM
Mine does too. I'd imagine it should since compression would make it hard. but..I don't know.

trikes4life
08-31-2006, 11:33 AM
no such thing is a 82 200s, atc 200 0r 84-86 200s. is there water in the air box. gas cap turned on and the petcock turned on also. I mite have it, is your decompression open and not closeing, had this happen a few times.

SYKO
08-31-2006, 11:39 AM
long bed bring it over to my house let me have a look at it. I'm only 10-15 mins from you

longbedGTs
08-31-2006, 12:38 PM
No such thing as 82 200s? Hmmm...well, its just a plain jane with no suspension front or rear, chain drive, center exit exhaust pipe, and only a recoil. People told me it was an "s" so thats what Ive been calling it. What do you think it is? IDK~
I should have updated the thread earlier. Im pretty sure its just flooding out. Everytime after cranking it, I pull the plug and its soaked with gas! Temptation almost got the best of me to take the carb off the 'Red and try it. I didnt though...
Decompression lever isnt open. It is getting compression, but I dont know how much as I have no compression gauge.
The gas cap is sealing too good and not letting air in the tank to let the fuel flow freely. I crack the cap a bit and gas flows fine.
The CDI part that spins on the cam, was able to turn all the way around. That threw the timing off I guess, so I rigged it up to stay put. We'll see how long electrical tape lasts! :lol:

Chevy n Honda
08-31-2006, 06:53 PM
Check the carb for a stuck float.
Sometimes you can peck on the bowl and it
will unstick. (don't peck to hard though !)
Otherwise you'll have to remove the bowl and clean
the needle and seat.

C n H

longbedGTs
09-04-2006, 02:54 PM
The float isnt sticking and that little needle is seating and shutting off fuel as it should. Ive tried starting fluid sprayed directly into the carb and it still wont even try to start.

bassman
09-04-2006, 03:23 PM
Timing is the only thing I can think of.

longbedGTs
09-04-2006, 03:41 PM
Yeah, either that or weak spark. The CDI generator on the camshaft, will spin all the way around in either direction. I took it off and wound the cam with electrical tape to make the generator press on tighter. It holds but isnt very secure. After trying to start the motor, I can put it at the 'F' mark on the flywheel and the CDI generator is perfectly lined up with the pulsar box.

Oh, I started up the Big Red this morning after a 3 day sit. Started right up w/o any choke! Why cant this trike be like its brother?? :wondering