PDA

View Full Version : This is effed up....I am having starting issues

bassman
08-24-2006, 09:41 PM
Ok, So the recoil is pretty much useless on my 82 200. So I got out the lawn mower and had my bro drag me around the yard today. This is the first time I tried to fire it up(except for the 5000000000000 times with the pullstart). Well, I put it in first gear, and jounced the rear wheels to get them moving and the engine to turn over, and it did, backfired, and just turned over. Well, it just kpet turning over for about 10 seconds, then boom, it acted like it was in neutral. But I shifted it into neutral, and shifted it back into 1st, and still nothing. So I shifted it back in to N for about 15 sec, tried it again, and it started to turn over again......for about 5 secs, and then did the same thing. So it's just doing that and I'm not getting any farther. Does anyone know what could cause this? Clutch slip? It doesn't matter what gear its in, it'll always act like it's in N until I actually shift it into N for about 10 secs and shift back.

bigredhead
08-24-2006, 09:47 PM
Well.. first thing if the motor won't fire after that much effort... you have a problem.... Don't burn yourself out trying to fire something that clearly won't.

Have you gone thru all the basics..

Remove the fuel line from the tank.. flip the lever.. does it pour gas ?

Remove the spark plug.. conect it to the wire and ground the tip to the head.. pull the rope and check for spark..

If you have spark.. pour a few drops of gas into the cylinder and put the plug back in.. pull the cord and it should sputter a few times.. if it does it's your carb.. if it does not.. you have more serious problems..

bassman
08-24-2006, 09:49 PM
I can't check spark, as i've said, the pullstart is next to destroyed. I just swapped carbs, i know it's getting gas.
But I am thinking it is the spark plug, because it has excellent compression.

slothminx
08-25-2006, 05:36 AM
Take the plug and rest it on the head conected to the plug lead, then you will be able to push it and look for a spark, with the plug out and it in 2nd gear it should be no problem to push.

atctim
08-25-2006, 08:29 AM
sounds like the "acts like it is slipping into neutral" thing is the one way bearing (sprag) gone bad. My brother's 200s does the same thing.

bassman
08-25-2006, 01:59 PM
where is this "sprag" located at? Easy to fix? Because if it isn't, I have a backup 185s motor.

atctim
08-25-2006, 02:41 PM
It is pretty easy to replace, but it is an expensive part if buying new. It is a bearing that is located on the front clutch (the centrifugal one). Call your honda dealer and ask them about a "one way clutch bearing" and they should know what you are talking about.

bassman
08-25-2006, 02:45 PM
Cool. How much is expensive? Like I said I have a spare complete 185s motor, could I take it off that one and use it?