PDA

View Full Version : honda big red, hesitating full throttle

spaztek24
08-23-2006, 10:34 PM
Hey all, we've recently tried to recover our 1986 big red, replaced battery, spark plug and had carb rebuilt but still it really lags on full throttle. octane booster in gas tank, oil change, etc etc. my husband's going to wring my neck if i keep nagging him to fix it, but he doesnt know what to do next.....also another thing to keep in mind is that the carburetor was rebuilt on it's own without the bike present...if that helps.

TIA
Stacey

topoortorideon4
08-23-2006, 11:05 PM
sounds like a carb problem. If the air filter is bad or not present it may have sucked crap up

ScottZJ
08-24-2006, 08:15 AM
First off and most easy, take your fuel line off the carb and see if gas is flowing when the petcock is on. If it flows fine, then you need to check your carb. Get a carb kit off ebay for 18$ and rebuild it from ground up. You might not need it but once you get in the carb you might as well take care of it all the way. Also check your throttle cable and such.

DeePa
08-24-2006, 07:55 PM
youre in derry? do you ride those old RR beds? if you want to meet me there at like 9:45ish is when i will be showing up so maybe i can attempt to see whats up.

im going up there saturday with another member from here and were riding at 1030...go check the thread out here.

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=55550

mike

250r'en +TCB
08-24-2006, 07:59 PM
youre in derry? do you ride those old RR beds? if you want to meet me there at like 9:45ish is when i will be showing up so maybe i can attempt to see whats up.

im going up there saturday with another member from here and were riding at 1030...go check the thread out here.

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=55550

mike

Hey I live in Hampstead NH!!! I will be making an appearence at the RR beds with DeePa, but can't ride this time due to a broken arm, not to mention the R is stripped down to the frame....:lol:

But if you bring it by, we could proubly help:beer

ClayW
08-24-2006, 09:54 PM
Yeah its definately the carb. A jet is dirty most likely. I rebuilt mine once before and it ran good for about a minute then started running like garbage again. Do this... On the carb bowl, take the rubber tube that comes out of it and goes down behind the motor. Pull it over where you can get to it and lay it on a clean white paper town. Now crack the bowl drain screw on the bottom open and let the gas come out. See if junk shows up on the paper towl. Mine did it for a while. Finally got it all out. I actually had to take it off and clean it 3 times before I got it all. Also take the bottom off your petcock bowl. Clean it out and the screen. I had junk there also.

Clay

badasskfx
08-24-2006, 11:02 PM
rusty tank is more then likely causing crap to go in your carb.

Rm250RF900R
08-24-2006, 11:05 PM
My uncle lives in Derry.

spaztek24
08-25-2006, 08:12 PM
DeePa,

Yes I'm right close to the old RRbeds, they kind of sidewind thru Derry Windham Sandown etc....I have never ridden on those trails with an ATC....only on a snowmobile in winter. Friends of ours who use the trails often prefer them for ATV/ATC riding rather than sled riding, since they don't get groomed in the wintr all too well. That's cool that you all have planned a ride there! I would have loved to join the group, but 2 of our daughters are involved in sports and Sat./Sun. are pretty limiting for us rite now......my husband is working on a neighbor of ours with another Big Red that he is 'pondering' passing on to us. Which would be pretty cool so that we wouldn't have to fight over who gets to ride it!!!!!

Stace