PDA

View Full Version : New piston for 200X?

Turtle
04-03-2003, 11:38 AM
86 200x that had a broken header bolt for the exhaust. Removed everything down to the head, had the hole tapped and a new post installed. So now I'm looking at the top of the piston and I'm only a few wrench turns away from removing it. I'm thinking of buying a new Wiseco piston and rings and having the cylinder bored out. This machine ran great before I took it down to replace the exhaust bolt, but hey.. I already have most of the work done why not replace the piston? Any advice? What is the difference in the piston sizes? What do the bigger sizes get me? Is it worth it? Any reccomendations on piston sizes?

J.D.
04-03-2003, 11:42 AM
You ALWAYS, I repeat ALWAYS want to bore as little as possible. Boring won't gain you a whole lot, except less use out of the jug. As long as it's running fine now, no smoke, etc, I would say just leave it be for the time being. If you are forced to bore, only go bore as minimum as possible to where there is a piston available for that size.

TimSr
04-03-2003, 12:21 PM
And Id just add, if it has a Honda OEM piston now, dont replace it with a Wiseco unless youll be boring it for a Wiseco. They expand at different rates, and have different bore tolerances.