PDA

View Full Version : National Race Winning ATC 200R Arrived Pics!!

Orangecnty250r
08-23-2006, 09:08 AM
Well it came last night and got it out this morning to give it a quick once over..and ride:naughty: :naughty: ..Have to much construction going on to really mess with it to much but I am overall very pleased with it. I have to finalize getting the written history of all the races it competed in, won, etc.
Enjoy!!!

250r'en +TCB
08-23-2006, 10:07 AM
Wow that is truely a diamond you have right there!!! I have a couple questions about it, maybe you can answer them??
-What kind of rear fender does that have on it??
-Was the 200cc cylinder something you could purchase from honda? Or was it a specialty thing?
-Is the carb a 34mm like on the 250r???
-lastly, how does it stack up to a 250R???

Lomax
08-23-2006, 10:38 AM
Really cool, thats not the one that was on Ebay was it?

250r'en +TCB
08-23-2006, 10:40 AM
yes that was the one on ebay, OC was all over that like white on rice on a paper plate in a snowstorm!!! hahaha funny but true

Kintore
08-23-2006, 11:09 AM
You lucky duck you, im amazed at how many beautiful machines you have, and yet when I think your done. You add some more. Keep up the fantastic work OC!

thefox
08-23-2006, 11:17 AM
I take it that one will be left as-is?

Dammit!
08-23-2006, 11:18 AM

I was wondering about that too. Guaranteed that's not exactly as it was raced. I'd ask him for all the details about his race setup (suspension height, tires and the like).

slothminx
08-23-2006, 11:46 AM
I think this one should be left without any shine done to it, Just to show that it aint no show racer, shes actually done the races ;)

A set of H-tracs will be perfect for it.

Orangecnty250r
08-23-2006, 11:49 AM

Thats a tough one!! As I was up on the working on the roof all morning looking down on it I tossed ideas around in my head. You guys know me :crazy: I like to replace everything with fresh shiny NOS but with this One I dont you think that would be wise.

See if you look up close the frame has been spray bombed with a color that doesnt match, one of the shrouds has a small split, a small gouge out of the short track tank, front fender scratched, number plate spray painted and has a crack, and the vintage answer bars have some rust etc, etc. Still a nice bike though....I'm highly critical. I am my own worst critic!!!

Out of HABIT I instantly see me putting my Flawless short track tank and NOS short track shrouds on it, Finding an NOS red number plate, H tracks (traded off a set to Bruce:( ) Powdercoating and cleaning everything up....damm wouold like to even find a restored westcoast swinger for it....It Would look unbeleivable with most of the things I already have and not alot of effort.

But....I think the charm of the machine is touching the plastics and thinking these things sat on a starting line, blasted around National tracks and were sitting in the winners circle.

So the big Question is......FOR DISPLAY
I could bolt some stuff on and save the originals, leave it as is, or restore

What do you guys think??

slothminx
08-23-2006, 11:52 AM
Leave it as-is!!! Those race wounds are the best bits, I think It would ruin the fact thats its a real race trike if you put on alot of NOS.

When the museum is done, you could even line her up next to the tiger on a mocked up starting line :naughty:

chris200x
08-23-2006, 12:05 PM
Leave it as-is!!! Those race wounds are the best bits, I think It would ruin the fact thats its a real race trike if you put on alot of NOS.

When the museum is done, you could even line her up next to the tiger on a mocked up starting line :naughty:

I agree! I see nothing wrong with cleaning it up a bit but If you wanted the rear fenders to stay on I don't think it would match up with a brand new tank and shrouds.

although the westcoast swinger and h tracs don't sound like a bad idea either... :naughty:

Did you get any other parts or tasty tidbits from the seller?

hrc85250r
08-23-2006, 12:07 PM
a few things that i dont get.... why are the stock tires and rims on it, and why is there a stock carb on it? and what kind of racing did it do? it seems like the short track kit and low profile rear fenders were used almost solely for flat track and tt racing, which would go hand in hand with a lowered bike with low profile tires/rims, whereas your bike isnt lowered nor does it have low profile tries/rims...

edog
08-23-2006, 12:11 PM
Very nice,that would look awsome next to my 200X.I would restore it.

Orangecnty250r
08-23-2006, 12:13 PM
We are still in contact and I am getting more info but he hadnt raced since 1986 so he put the stock wheels and took the answer silencer off and put the stock silencer back on because he would take it out joy riding a few times a year over the last 19 years. It didnt just sit since its last race...keep throwing more questions out and I will write them all down and ask when I talk to him again.

tecate kid
08-23-2006, 12:30 PM
Does he have any pics of it racing? Maybe one with a kawi, and yamaha in the background?
tecate kid

MIK6
08-23-2006, 12:32 PM
Orangecnty250r... My main question is are you a beer drinker? I would love to take a drive to your place bring a 6 pack, shake your hand, share a beer or 2 and see your collection!!! I still owe you from the shock!!

I am sure what ever you decide to do w/ the 200R it is an awsome addition to the collection!!

MIK6 / Mike

ScottZJ
08-23-2006, 01:01 PM
Ditto what MIK6 said! hehe
I hated that I missed that sucker literally seconds too late. I hit refresh and it was there and hit buy now and it was gone lol. But Orange.....I am glad you got it. You, out of any, deserve it the most, with all your collection. I hope to come by sometime and check it out...........peace

thefox
08-23-2006, 01:08 PM
I would leave it like it is, maybe clean it up a little (not to perfection) but not paint or replace anything. Once you find more info about how it was raced then find the tires and other parts that were used on it back in the day. I would only use the same parts that were race with though, don't run a westcoast if a DG was used. I also would not replace a fender because it was scratched, think would it have been replaced back when it was being raced just because of a few scratches (or small cracks for that matter) I doubt it.

The cool thing about this trike is IT was raced, IT was a national winner, and IT was banging bars with the top dogs. Bolting on a bunch of new parts and painting it up would turn it into something it is not. If you really want a perfect race replica then build another one that can sit next to it. Any 250R frame can be powder coated and have a bunch of NOS parts bolted on to it but only a few can have the original fender that saw laps with the guys most of us have only heard about.

Either way I hope you will have the shop done next summer; count me in on stopping down!

Dammit!
08-23-2006, 01:13 PM
I'd get it setup to look as close to what it looked like in it's race days as possible. I'm sure he can tell you what kind of wheels were on it, how he had his suspension setup, any other tidbits. Maybe even what kind of stickers he had on it back then. I KNOW it had way more stickers on it than that.

See if he's got pictures of it from back in the day. See if he's got actual race pictures that you could get enlarged and framed for the display. See if he's got any of his old gear. Hell see if he's got trophies he'd be willing to part with.

I think an old school race display would be sweet. I wouldn't fix it up (other than rust... I hate rust). The battle wounds and imperfections are what make it what it is. Otherwise it'll just end up looking like a slightly modded 250R.

Edit: If it were me, I'd even setup a corner of the showroom with dirt on the floor under the trike, some flag rope and a bail of hay. :lol:

firefirefire90
08-23-2006, 01:54 PM
Dammit! took the words right out of my mouth....appart from the fact that that trike needs the silencer and H-tracs put back on.. Sweet find! Is that a Slevy's(sp) performance de-stroker crank?

1DEADPRESIDENT
08-23-2006, 02:11 PM
WELL WELL WELL.... I can't tell you how many times I heard about the 200r after I posted it and you won it!! I think you got a great piece of ATC racing history for the money! There were others including myself that were shocked at the BIN price he had :crazy: .. I am curious about the seat? Were they stenciled by Honda? The 200R looks factory! I am glad it went to someone that will appreciate it for what it is. I vote for a TF07 appearance of the 200R. How does it compare power wise to a stock WC 250R? I agree the H-Traks and a racing swinger would complete the factory race look.

Jeb
08-23-2006, 05:09 PM
:beer Congrats OrangeCnty!

Glad you scored that. But I bet that guy is going to regret selling that 200R. Especially after keeping it 19 years. :wondering His loss is definitely your gain.

I really like the rear fender and would like to know more about it. H-Tracs would be cool. But so would some 18x9.5-8 Turf Tamers on GOLD 8x8 rims. :w00t:

breastman569
08-23-2006, 05:52 PM
does anyone have the ebay auction number i would like the auction page?

thefox
08-23-2006, 06:01 PM
does anyone have the ebay auction number i would like the auction page?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1985-Honda-ATC-200R_W0QQitemZ160014074134QQihZ006QQcategoryZ6724Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

cragster
08-23-2006, 06:08 PM
That is awesome!!!! i was wonderin when you were gettin it back. I would powdercoat the frame back perfect. I would fix the bars. Get htracs definatly. Like if one ST tank shroud is broke i would replace it with NOS. I wouldnt replace front fender. Possibly sand, polish, and flamekiss it? very nice and i want to see your musuem when you open it up!!!!!!!

crackshot
08-23-2006, 06:49 PM
Who raced it? Names?

scooterroo
08-23-2006, 08:26 PM
that thing is sweet. a rarity. whats the deal with the rearfenders? they dont look like 85-86 250r rears. are they an erlier model r fenders or special for that bike alone, the 200r?

hrc85250r
08-23-2006, 08:50 PM
maier makes low profile rear fenders for the 85-86 R....

Russell 350X
08-23-2006, 08:50 PM
Wow, this is rare. Very nice find tho, awsome. If I were you I would leave it the way it is.

whyzee
08-23-2006, 09:04 PM
Nice one OC !!
I would just clean it up real good and ride it from time to time. :beer

ATCwithdrawals
08-23-2006, 09:05 PM
Definetly a trike to be honored and extremely proud to have. Congrats OC, someday, I too would love to visit you and your collection someday. Keep finding these jewels.:beer

ba7raini
08-23-2006, 09:14 PM
wasnt it originally a 250r?

Orangecnty250r
08-23-2006, 09:32 PM
Wow this thread has been busy while I was out :D Thanks for all the kind words!!

Cant remember what to respond to now.... been a long day. But in summary I think it will be pretty much left as is because of its history and I will try to get the parts from him that were on it or find them. I am going to try to talk to him tommorrow. As for the fenders I can see where he had some decals that he must of taken off before he sold it (tell by the fading around them)....I see a fox head and on the back he had "Racin Jason" I do know he has a video of this machine racing. I plan on setting up an area for it with a huge banner made from a picture of the actual machine. I will post a full write up in the next week or so. I will take note of all the questions asked on this thread and answer them in an outline format once I have all the info:D

vintagemotorsports
08-24-2006, 11:44 AM
Hey bill,
Let me at it , I feel the need to make it look like a new factory racer !!! from back in the day , Im like you I like things clean , you can restore all the original parts on the bike so its correct , I quess it depends on whos bike it was , If it was someone like mike coes bike i would leave as is , if its was just a privater type bike i would fluff it up.
mike
Vintage motorsports

Darius1502
08-24-2006, 11:47 AM
Hey Bill,

What was the power like on that thing?

Is a shorter stroke 250....therefore does it rev like crazy?

crackshot
08-24-2006, 12:21 PM
wasnt it originally a 250r?

Yeah. All it is a sleeved down 250R.

atctim
08-24-2006, 04:46 PM
OK - I wanna know this? When is the tour bus leaving for Orangecounty's Museum Tour? I want a seat close to MIK6 and the bathroom!!!!

Really though, we should have a group outing at Orange's place sometime - a real 3 wheeler museum - GOSH - FLIPPIN SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!

250r'en +TCB
08-24-2006, 08:28 PM
OK - I wanna know this? When is the tour bus leaving for Orangecounty's Museum Tour?

Hell I frigan drive the bus!!! And we'll be haul'in arse to get there too!!:lol: :w00t:

Awsome collection you have OC!!! What the latest on that Tiger???

Mike Fort Laud
08-24-2006, 08:36 PM
Yours looks like a stock size cylinder. Is is sleeved down. Mine has the cylinder cut shorter with a shorter stroke crank. I was told mine was by Selvy.

ClayW
08-24-2006, 09:48 PM
I would be torn also. Especially if I had acess to some of those parts.

hrc85250r
08-24-2006, 10:41 PM
Yeah. All it is a sleeved down 250R.

depends on the quality of the kit, some less expensive kits where just sleeve down's as well as more expensive ones that sleeved down and de-stroked, which also included porting to fix the port timing with the smaller stroke.

250r'en +TCB
08-24-2006, 10:43 PM
depends on the quality of the kit, some less expensive kits where just sleeve down's as well as more expensive ones that sleeved down and de-stroked, which also included porting to fix the port timing with the smaller stroke.
Is it possible to still get these kits?? And who made them? Anyone remember seeing one pop up on ebay or something???

SET THE STAGE
08-25-2006, 04:38 PM
Is it possible to still get these kits?? And who made them? Anyone remember seeing one pop up on ebay or something???

i'd like to know if they still make these too, even if it's just sleeved down. it'd be cool to put one on a TRX model just because you never see that.

willcamach
08-25-2006, 07:24 PM
that is one cool trike with a history behind it, very nice and nostalgic. but im curious as to why anyone would want to do that to a 250r today? for what purpose, where ya gonna race it? and what are you gonna race against? and why destroke a trx thats already heavier than the atc whats the point of doing that????? i may speak for myself here but if im gonna dump money on parts im looking to gain power/speed not lose it.

SET THE STAGE
08-25-2006, 08:28 PM
that is one cool trike with a history behind it, very nice and nostalgic. but im curious as to why anyone would want to do that to a 250r today? for what purpose, where ya gonna race it? and what are you gonna race against? and why destroke a trx thats already heavier than the atc whats the point of doing that????? i may speak for myself here but if im gonna dump money on parts im looking to gain power/speed not lose it.

how many trx200r's have you seen? it'd make it pretty dang unique having that in one, it may not be as powerful but i'm sure it'd rev quicker. especially if you were able to find one with the crank and all.

it'd just be cool to have, that's all.

88 Turbo Coupe
08-25-2006, 09:56 PM
If you want to go fast, maybe a 310 kit? Somthing that you can ride?

88 Turbo Coupe
08-25-2006, 10:07 PM
Nice pics!! Looks really nice! How may races did it run? Looks almost like a stock 85 250r. The Tiger I have that I bought from the factory rider doesn't look that clean. Mine looks to have many races under it's belt. Nice 200r!