PDA

View Full Version : just got my trike

punkbek3886
04-02-2003, 11:18 PM
its an 81-83 185s (not sure) that was my friends, we got it from his uncle, got it running, and rode it for about a week before it broke unexplainably, and since then it has sat in his driveway. anyways he sold it to me for 50 bucks and all i did was clean the carb, fix the throttle, buy a sprocket that he lost and it started first try. definitely missing not having any suspension though! its killing my hands. its sweet tho!

punkbek3886
04-03-2003, 12:06 AM
i also wanted to ask a few questions. first, it smokes a bit and it seems like oil burning, the spark plug gets covered w/ black carbon really quickly. the local atv shop told me id have to get the whole cylinder bored out and new rings and all that. i think that he might just be trying to milk me for money. wouldnt i just be able to replace the rings and notice a big difference? i dont need it to be perfect, just improved. also, in the carb, on the air filter side their are two brass tubes (vent tubes?). the middle one is clogged and the trike gives out at higher rpms, would this cause that symptom? thanks a lot.

J.D.
04-03-2003, 12:15 AM
Sounds like a ring job, and it may or may not need a bore, you won't know until you dig in.

Clioboy1200
04-03-2003, 06:37 AM
The chances are if it hasnt seized on you, that its just the rings, although it is sometimes good practice to replace the piston with the rings, but the cylinder should be ok! Also, somebody gave a msg recently about the colour of spark plugs denoting the settings of the carb. It may be running too rich or to lean. Anyways best of luck.

punkbek3886
04-03-2003, 02:37 PM
sounds good to me, that guy was also trying to charge me 100 dollars for unblocking a passage in the carb. im gonna talk to my neighbor about that one, hes a machinist and he shows antique cars as a hobby. where could i get rings from, im having a hard time finding them on the internet.

Turtle
04-03-2003, 02:41 PM
try denniskirk.com for the rings

samster143
04-05-2003, 10:52 AM
I would start by spending $20.00 on a repair manual from Clymer or Honda. They have lots of good info inside and can answer lots of questions for you and also help you put back together what you take apart! Good luck.