PDA

View Full Version : Starter rope keeps breaking

Nick_R_23
08-20-2006, 03:32 AM
I got a 83 atc200, and the starter rope keeps breaking. It had the stock rope that broke about a month ago (no suprise there), i retied it on and it broke again a week later. I got some new stuff that was supposedly better and broke less. I had it on about a week, broke, retied it, it did it again and i retied it yet again. It broke again today, 5 times in less then a month!!! Is there a special kind of rope, or a brand anyone would recommend? Im kinda gettin tired of push starting it and taking my pull starter apart.

-Nick

traxxasx
08-20-2006, 06:39 AM
Get a good nylon rope like the rock climbing ones or sailboat kind. Also pull yoiu starter slowly till the exhaust vavle opens, tdc. Top dead center than give her a yank much less stress on the rope.

slothminx
08-20-2006, 07:19 AM
Make sure there isnt a sharp lip around where the rope enters the pull starter.

Bryan Raffa
08-20-2006, 08:02 AM
on my old 125m i used a thin steel cable incased in plastic..worked really good

trikes4life
08-20-2006, 08:26 PM
they have recoil cables at dennis kirk for atc's

ATC-Eric
08-21-2006, 01:13 AM
Is your rope long enough? I had problems with mine breaking all the time. A lot of the time it was because I was maxing out the pull length.

Nick_R_23
08-21-2006, 04:54 AM
Thanks for your replies, ill tear it apart tomorrow and see what i need.

-Nick

farm mike
08-21-2006, 11:19 AM
[QUOTE=Nick_R_23]I got a 83 atc200, and the starter rope keeps breaking. It had the stock rope that broke about a month ago (no suprise there), i retied it on and it broke again a week later. I got some new stuff that was supposedly better and broke less. I had it on about a week, broke, retied it, it did it again and i retied it yet again. It broke again today, 5 times in less then a month!!! Is there a special kind of rope, or a brand anyone would recommend? Im kinda gettin tired of push starting it and taking my pull starter apart.

I'll bet your 6 foot tall? I never have trouble w/ either of my 200s but the pr of 70 trikes my boys have used to drive me nuts w/ broken ropes! now I drop to one knee when starting them so I don't over extend the pull cord.I have not broken a pullcord since I discovered the stop,drop and pull starting method. good luck!

Nick_R_23
08-21-2006, 05:18 PM
I'll bet your 6 foot tall? I never have trouble w/ either of my 200s but the pr of 70 trikes my boys have used to drive me nuts w/ broken ropes! now I drop to one knee when starting them so I don't over extend the pull cord.I have not broken a pullcord since I discovered the stop,drop and pull starting method. good luck!

Lol im 6' 2 but thats a good idea ill look into that. :lol:

-Nick

DeePa
08-21-2006, 06:21 PM
pull it slowly until you feel it catch and then give it a pull...if you just yank it straight up its a lot of stress on the rope. sometimes it takes 2 or 3 little pulls to get it to catch without much rope being used up.

mike

YTM200BOY
08-22-2006, 01:27 PM
well there is a place around here like menards its called farm and fleet i bought some really strong colored nylon rope for it and it works great and looks awsome! :D good luck sir.