PDA

View Full Version : OOPSY!! Dropped Piston Pin Clip into the Case!

McDerry
08-16-2006, 09:13 PM
well, it (the piston pin clip that is) got away from me when it came loose and shot down into the case.

Well obvious you wouldnt want it down in there, so any easy way of getting it out?? Prefferably without splitting the rest of the case, would hate to end up replacing other stuff in it while i was in there and this is on the beater 200s ($50 special). What are the odds I can tip the lower end upside down and knock the clip loose??

Whats the worst that It can do if i left it in there honestly (I know its a bad thing to do...)? Is the oil pickup inside the case large enough to suck it up?? Id imagine it woudl sink to the bottom much like the rest of the scum that builds up in the bottom of an oilpan.

mean350
08-16-2006, 09:36 PM
i dropped a bolt into the top end one time. i just bought one of them antenna magnets at autozone for about a buck and got itm iout. maybe try that?

Lomax
08-16-2006, 09:38 PM
I have done the same thing on a 200s actually. I picked the engine up and carried outside, turned it upside down and started shaking it violently and after about 30 seconds it came out. I had to have someone watching for it or I would have never seen it though

Unclediezel
08-16-2006, 10:05 PM
Yep....Pull the motor...

BUT .... put it in a Plastic bag----Preferably clear... so if it does "SNEAK" out it wont bounce away....
Also---drain the oil and leave the plug out overnight ..this will help avoid the clip "Sticking" to the sides of the case, or other internal parts.

DeePa
08-16-2006, 10:19 PM
it cant be that strong of a clip...run the *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited*!!!!

actually shaking it will be the best bet...i might try a magnet first tho...

mike

pipeliner3481
08-17-2006, 09:42 AM
did the same thing on my 200x rebuild,i did the antenna magnet thing and it came right out in about a min. I had to bend it a little bit to get it around the crank and rod, just crank the rod with your hand and there was about three spots I could stick the magnet down into the case, Just kept sticking it down those spots and wiggling it around and pulling it back up to check to see if it was there, by the third time it came right out.

Bryan Raffa
08-17-2006, 10:29 AM
yep I admit i have done it too! thos magnets are the bomb, a must have in the tool box!

firefirefire90
08-17-2006, 01:59 PM
I dropped the sucker in there as well once..i shook it up a little bit but I took the flywheel cover off and low and behold, it was right there stuck on the flywheel!

250rAL
08-17-2006, 05:37 PM
Now for the cure... wrap a rag around the connecting rod when ever the top end is off. Murphy's Law, you know...

hrc85250r
08-17-2006, 11:31 PM
250ral must be one of the few with a slight amount of common sense. thanks al.

smackkk
08-18-2006, 09:04 AM
well I say remove the engine and ssake the p-diddle out of it with a clear gallon bag over the thing. I have also filled them with 30 weight oil and got them out. You do want to get that thing out tho, I dropped one one time and was ring down the road and it got between the piston and the cylinder wall and siezed the engine up. Threw me over the handle bars and bummed me up pretty bad.

RacerRichie
08-18-2006, 10:57 AM
get a magnet bra! We have all been there...thats too funny!

Oldshell4481
08-18-2006, 11:30 AM
hes from maine, we dont have much common sense up here, try the antenna trick as long as the clip is magnetic, if you shake it out you might wanna do it over a concrete floor sos you can see it if it falls out, as long as all the oil is drained.