PDA

View Full Version : i got one!

hatedinaz
04-01-2003, 10:43 PM
just rode my new 350x down the block and back, man its been a long time since ive been on a trike.the pavement sucks but it was great anyway.i am going to have tons of questions but first ill go buy a manual.
until then do you guys have any engine oil suggestions,and what about
lubing the chain?thx in advance :-D

84250r
04-02-2003, 01:00 AM
Welcome to the site! You could use fogging oil to lube the chain. Or you could also use wd-40 seems to work very well also. Enjoy that 350X!!

GreenBoy
04-02-2003, 06:02 PM
I use some Motul chain lube, quiet good stuff and it last very long.

ATC crazy
04-02-2003, 07:36 PM
If its a O-Ring chain DO NOT use WD-40...use some type of chain wax made for O-Ring chains. Wd-40 cleans the chain and helps keep some dirt off but it does not "seal" the chain which protects the O-Rings.

Mike Fort Laud
04-02-2003, 10:59 PM
Do not use fogging oil or wd-40 for your chain. I ONLY use Motul products. They make an off road chain formula. It does not matter what brand just use CHAIN LUBE. If you really want to lube it up I guess you could even use that lube you keep under the bed for lubing up your peter. Really though, go to your local motorcycle shops and see which brands they carry and try to pick and stick to a brand and then use their line of products. I am a die hard fan of Motul Products. I use their 800 synthetic pre-mix oil,gearbox oil, brake fluid,chain lube and silicon cleaner.

TimSr
04-03-2003, 11:17 AM
I realize others disagree with me on this, but after years of what I considered wasting my money on expensive chain lubes, now I only use WD-40. I only run O-Ring chains on ATVs. The chain lubes are gummy, and to me just seem to hold all the dirt they pick up, turning it into valve grinding compound. They are very hard to clean, and using solvents penetrates more than the oils outweighing the advantages. Ive used regular motor oil, which I even prefer to chain lubes. WD-40 protects the chain from rust, and penetrates enough to keep them wet inside, which doesnt last long when you begin riding in mud and water anyways. I have found no noticeable difference in chain life since switching to WD-40. I probably do the most abusive riding towards the chain you can get, between mud and water crossings combined with hillclimbing. I guess you have to figure out the cost of chain lube, and how many cans you use in the life of your chain to decided if its really saving you any money. Using $30 worth of expensive chain lube to get 10% more life out of a $60 chain is not cost effective.

Turtle
04-03-2003, 11:32 AM
I use a product called Tri Flow. Its a Teflon spray that coats the chain and repels dirt. I used iton my Mtn Bike for years and love it. Now I use it on my 200X. Its a little pricey though..

plkmonster2
04-03-2003, 07:53 PM
go down to john deer and get some of that black chain and cable lube. it is aerosol, so it is easy to apply, yet it cleans like wd-40, and puts oils in the chain, and keeps dust out. it is what deere suggests

samster143
04-04-2003, 06:47 PM
use a degreaser/cleaner, any type will do to clean the chain use a small brush to get all the crud off. Using wd40 or most other lubricants will act as DIRT-MAGNET be smart and use a lubricant specially designed for lubricating chains and shedding dirt. I am still using the same can of Maxima CHAIN WAX I bought more than a year ago for 5.99 and I use it regularly!

bbechtel16
04-05-2003, 11:33 PM
go down to john deer and get some of that black chain and cable lube. it is aerosol, so it is easy to apply, yet it cleans like wd-40, and puts oils in the chain, and keeps dust out. it is what deere suggests

GO JOHN DEERE WOOHOOO!!!! LOL!!! It's ok guys I'm allowed to make fun of John Deere, my dad's a parts manager at our local dealer.

Stouttrout
04-06-2003, 12:45 AM
Keep in mind. WD-40 by definition is not a lubricant. It is a solvent. A cleaner, wich means it is stringent. I also use Tri-Flow and it seems to work great. You can get it at most bike shops and I think Wal-mart carries it.

tecatecrazy
04-06-2003, 05:10 PM
I have always used tri-flo and it works great. It will make a mess of you bike if you dont wipe the excess off though. Works great on tools too.---Joe 8)