PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE!....Help! Engine problems

troy
08-13-2006, 09:43 AM
Hey guys, i really need some help here with my bike. I own a yamaha tri moto 200ern, I had to replace the head the other day, because the old one the exhaust couldn't bolt on any more because the treads where striped. IT was running fine exept for the backfiring ect, because of the bolt not able to be tighten. i change the head as planed and put gasket sealer in the proper places like the bottom cylinder, top of the cylinder and the head, so oil leaks are out number. the problem is i can't keep the bike idling. it dies as soon as i let go of the gas. the carb wasn't touch at all, execpt when unbolting it from the flange on the head. While it's moving it sound alright, but as soon as i stop the engine dies, Also i'v notice a little burning of oil happening from the exhaust. could this be a sign of new rings needing to be put on?.....I hope some one can help..:wondering

P.S in order for me to start the bike i have to have the Throttle about 1/4 to 1/2 open before it will start

Thanks

sandpuppi101
08-13-2006, 10:25 AM
Typically I work on Honda's and would'nt be able to advise you at all,but I just put a top end on a'89 YMF 200 and I know they are pretty much the same other than the compression release ! A few questions,Did you put on new gaskets or did you just put on gasket sealer? Did you swap all the topend components ,such as cam,valves -cam gear,etc,or was did the new head you put on just drop on ? And when you put on the head did you double check the timing with a timing light ? The reason I ask is all of this is very critical when doing a swap! Even a headgasket can look fine but I guess all heads are not created equal,meaning these heads are not the same unless you had it milled ! Kinda like sprockets and chains wear together so would the head components !! Save the headache and always use new gaskets,threadlock and torque to specs when doing a job like that!! Did you torque it down?

troy
08-14-2006, 09:06 PM
i did a compression test tonight, i have any where from 50 to 70 psi, When i pull it over at a normal speed i get 50 psi, when i pull it over faster i get 70 psi..I going with the thought of new rings and complete top end gasket kit, head gasket and bottom gasket. When i put the new gaskets on should i use some bond like yamabond?. also is there any where else the compression could be leaking?

P.S what should the psi be, i always though 120 PSI

Thanks

thefox
08-14-2006, 11:53 PM
i did a compression test tonight, i have any where from 50 to 70 psi, When i pull it over at a normal speed i get 50 psi, when i pull it over faster i get 70 psi..I going with the thought of new rings and complete top end gasket kit, head gasket and bottom gasket. When i put the new gaskets on should i use some bond like yamabond?. also is there any where else the compression could be leaking?

P.S what should the psi be, i always though 120 PSI

Thanks

When you do the compression test are you having someone hold open the throttle for you?

jason 32
08-14-2006, 11:55 PM
well it sounds like it needs a new set of rings
i use indian head sealer -shellac,with gaskets-just extra protection
hone out the cylinder ! -(de glaze)
and at least lapp the valves!!--(valve grinding compound,and a drill chuck on the top of the valves,is faster and better than your fingers) new valve seals!

troy
08-16-2006, 07:49 PM
I had to try it again, I run the bike for about 10 minutes and check the compression, it has 126 PSI.....after 4 pulls and open thottle....and as for the not idleing i played around with the thottle cable and it idles with the idling screw...What gives...:wondering ...or is it still playing with me?