PDA

View Full Version : 86 250R Question

ovhonda1
08-12-2006, 01:54 PM
My 86 250R is sputtering throughout the gears and it is time for a rebuild. It is totally stock and has not ever been rebuilt. I want to make it faster than it is now and have 2 thoughts. One is to simply take the jug off, bore it if necessary, put rings in it, etc. The other thought is a 300 kit. That is where I need help- All I can find on the posts for 300 kits are for air foolers.Is there a kit for the 86? What all is involved? Is it worth it? Any advice would be appreciated.

Dammit!
08-12-2006, 02:02 PM
There's a ton of aftermarket top end solutions available for your R. You can look around at ESR (http://www.esr250.com/) for starters. Of course, there's a ton of untapped potential in your Honda top end as well. Pipe, reeds, carb and air filter will wake it up. If that isn't enough you can have it ported (porting can make a huge difference when done right).

ovhonda1
08-12-2006, 02:25 PM
Looked at ESR, expensive! Now I know what I don't want to do. Sounds like the best thing to do is bore, rings and piston. What carb, pipe and filter choices are recommended?

breastman569
08-12-2006, 03:02 PM
let me tell you i was in the same boat as you about 4weeks ago and all i had done was a pipe to mine so i had the engine re-worked and man what a difference. i went with a boar and piston makinging a 260cc dune ported and polished milled and domed the head rad vavle 38mm carb and uni air filter with no air box and the fmf pipe. just the engine work after labor was only $350 so not bad and much cheeper then an esr kit you will notice the difference and thats all that i wanted.

MY 250R
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=56098

Dammit!
08-12-2006, 03:44 PM
Looked at ESR, expensive! Now I know what I don't want to do. Sounds like the best thing to do is bore, rings and piston. What carb, pipe and filter choices are recommended?

For best top end power, ESR and Paul Turner High Rev are the top choices for pipes. Kinda pricey.

For mid range power, the Paul Turner Type 6 or the FMF Fatty are good choices. The FMF pipes get a bad rap around here but they are very decent pipes and will give you a noticable power increase and stronger mid range hit. Hard to beat the prices too.

For carbs, the Keihin (sp?) PWK series are awesome. You can look into an air stryker as well but from what I dug up when researching them, there's not much benefit over a normal PWK model. I'm running a 38mm PWK and like it.

For reeds you could just get some boyseen reeds for your stock cage and save some money. Or you could go the Rad Valve or V-force route.

For the air filter, I've run both K&N and Uni and I personally prefer the K&N with an outerwear cover. Depends on what your riding conditions are though. The general train of thought seems to be, muddy and/or extremely dusty conditions, go with Uni. For sand dunes go with K&N. That said, I've used my K&N in some of the dustiest conditions imaginable and it has never let me down.

Those things along with a fresh top end (don't bore it any more than is needed, it won't make much difference anyway) will give you a very nice boost. Past that you can get it ported, milled, CR ignition and some other stuff and really have it flying.

breastman569
08-12-2006, 05:48 PM
Past that you can get it ported, milled, CR ignition and some other stuff and really have it flying.

i 2nd that!

ovhonda1
08-12-2006, 06:11 PM
thanks for all of the info. I am getting the checkbook out and starting to shop.