PDA

View Full Version : 250SX gas tank question

Frankencelery
08-12-2006, 11:43 AM
My 250SX gas tank gave up the ghost a couple weeks ago. I tried to prep it for Kreem, but it's holier than swiss cheese, and it's hopeless. I've been watching a few tanks on Ebay, and they're rather pricey. If I'm gonna spend a hundred bucks or more, I was thinking I might just spring for a plastic one. I was hoping for some opinions on those. Are there any that look even somewhat like stock? If so, can you put the Honda decals on them? My concern is that I'll have this bright red thing that will stick out like a sore thumb against my aged 1985 plastics.

Does anybody have pics of SX's with plastic tanks? I'd like to see what they look like.

Oh, and after a month hiatus of no riding and no 3WW, it's good to be back!

the great gazoo
08-12-2006, 01:34 PM
Do a '250SX pics' search on here & see what comes up. I've got an '87 SX that came with a Clarke tank, & it doesn't seem to be that much bigger than stock & looks great on the trike, as far as color, my '87's plastics were painted tan when I got it. Oh, I think IMS might sell a plastic tank too.......

Dammit!
08-12-2006, 02:06 PM
When you put decals on a plastic tank, they will eventually bubble from the gas fumes penetrating the plastic. Several people here have said you can line the inside of the plastic tank with Red Kote or Kreem which seals in the vapors and fixes the problem but I have no first hand experience with that.

Dirtcrasher
08-12-2006, 04:16 PM
Can't put decals on it, they shrink up. The plastic tank is the same size as the stock metal tank.

The red tank looks nice with white fenders. The red tank doesn't match any red plastic and looks crappy.

The white tank turns a crappy yellow color after a couple of years...

Frankencelery
08-13-2006, 09:57 AM
That's what I was afraid of, that decals wouldn't stick and the color would be different. It's not that my SX is a beauty or anything, it's just that it looked "well used" but original. I may have to keep looking for a stock one.

Thanks for your input.

smackkk
08-19-2006, 05:22 PM
Well, here is what I did. Ruff up the tank just a little. Clear coat it, use about 2-3 coats so the tank does not breathe. Then apply your decals, clear coat again with 1-2 coats, wellah, the tank is air tight and holds its color and will never fade nor discolor.....It worked for me....

badasskfx
08-19-2006, 09:42 PM
i have two tanks availible one is off a big red and the other is off a sx. there in decent shape but have some dents and such. check out the thread in the classified section for parts and pm me your adress and ill send some pics your way.