PDA

View Full Version : TRI-Z shock question

Shawn72
08-08-2006, 03:24 AM
I am restoring a 1986 TRI-Z. I think the rear shock is wasted. Beyond rebuild wasted. Since they are hard to find, is there another atv that uses the same shock?

Thanks,
Shawn

clutchcargo
08-08-2006, 07:25 AM
You can use a banshee shock, but must move the fuel tank back for the resovoir to clear. Or switch to a top mount fuel tank. I don't know how far to move back the fuel tank or what is involved though.

mywifeknowseverything
08-08-2006, 07:38 AM
Banshee, Warrior, 01 Raptor, or any aftermarket for the Afforementioned...You can also still get the Stock one from Yamaha...Try to get something with the Remote Resi just to keep it Simple:beer

Mrs.Mosh
08-08-2006, 07:39 AM
Go get a good Warrior shock. They bolt right in, no mods. The banshee shock will work with a butt load of mods but, it really isn't worth it. The rear shee shocks are week. No reason to mod your bike for a worthless shock. Unless you go aftermarket.

Bryan Raffa
08-08-2006, 02:12 PM
warrior shocks are the way to go.. cheep, lots out there, direct bolt in, and if it blows you can easly get another one and still not spend what you would for a new, or after market. going rate for one is $100 and less! i have bought 3 in the last year and spent under $100

OldSchoolin86
08-08-2006, 05:21 PM
Go get a good Warrior shock. They bolt right in, no mods. The banshee shock will work with a butt load of mods but, it really isn't worth it. The rear shee shocks are week. No reason to mod your bike for a worthless shock. Unless you go aftermarket.
WOW! :crazy:

Shee shock is a damn good fit for the z and takes little effort to install. Don't even have to move the tank if you're good with a heat gun.

Here's a link to another post I made with pics.

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showpost.php?p=380430&postcount=11

Don't get me wrong though, the warrior shock works but it has inferior valving compaired to what you could have. Take it from me, I actually have experience with both set-ups. Most people who talk crap about the mod haven't even tried it. Now if you really want the best set-up go aftermarket with a remote resi. This way you can just bolt it up and you should get better valving then the shee shock and a hell of a lot better then the warrior.

TimSr
08-08-2006, 08:24 PM
Warrior and Bashee shock are the same length. Banshee has piggyback resevoir which is a problem that has to be worked around. The Warrior has a remote resevoir and is a bolt on and go. As far as the performance of the two shocks, I wouldnt make any extra effort for one over the other. Neither are great. They both perform adequately (for riders 150-195 lbs), but Yamaha shocks in general have a very short lifespan, and dont like heavy riders much with the stock spring, which is why this question is so frequently asked. In the 16 years Ive had my Z, Ive been through 1 LT230 Shock, 1 TriZ shock, and 4 Warrior shocks, and two of those Warrior shocks were NEW. The Warrior shocks tend to be more readily available, and less expensive and bolt right on, so I dont seee much point in going the extra mile to "make a Banshee shock work" for no real advantage I can see, but if you have the initiative, God bless you. The best ticket is to find an aftermarket shock with a remote resevior, which will more likely be listed as a "Banshee Shock". The last one I found was a Works for my TriZ. The Warrior shock on my Quad-Z is now blown, and it will get another stock Warrior shock beacuse they are cheap and easy.
As for the 01 Raptor shock, I tried one, and got rid of it. It is longer than the others, and raises the back end high enough to increase the swingarm, angle so that your chain will eat right through the plastic swingarm chain guard, even with a 13T sprocket. The height was okay for trails, with 25" front tire, and forks slid all the way out, but made the whole machine too high for the track. Granted, it gave more travel, and soaked up the jumps a lot better, and if you are a trail rider who runs big front sprockets, and doesnt have a need for race style cornering, it would probably be great.

OldSchoolin86
08-08-2006, 08:40 PM
Warrior and Bashee shock are the same length. Banshee has piggyback resevoir which is a problem that has to be worked around. The Warrior has a remote resevoir and is a bolt on and go. As far as the performance of the two shocks, I wouldnt make any extra effort for one over the other. Neither are great. They both perform adequately (for riders 150-195 lbs), but Yamaha shocks in general have a very short lifespan, and dont like heavy riders much with the stock spring, which is why this question is so frequently asked. In the 16 years Ive had my Z, Ive been through 1 LT230 Shock, 1 TriZ shock, and 4 Warrior shocks, and two of those Warrior shocks were NEW. The Warrior shocks tend to be more readily available, and less expensive and bolt right on, so I dont seee much point in going the extra mile to "make a Banshee shock work" for no real advantage I can see, but if you have the initiative, God bless you. The best ticket is to find an aftermarket shock with a remote resevior, which will more likely be listed as a "Banshee Shock". The last one I found was a Works for my TriZ. The Warrior shock on my Quad-Z is now blown, and it will get another stock Warrior shock beacuse they are cheap and easy.
As for the 01 Raptor shock, I tried one, and got rid of it. It is longer than the others, and raises the back end high enough to increase the swingarm, angle so that your chain will eat right through the plastic swingarm chain guard, even with a 13T sprocket. The height was okay for trails, with 25" front tire, and forks slid all the way out, but made the whole machine too high for the track. Granted, it gave more travel, and soaked up the jumps a lot better, and if you are a trail rider who runs big front sprockets, and doesnt have a need for race style cornering, it would probably be great.
Should try it before you knock it ;) Seems like a trend lately.

mywifeknowseverything
08-08-2006, 08:50 PM
I say just do what I did and get a Custom one made....I went with the Marvin Shaw...NO RESI....and Completely Adjustable, Rebuildable and built to your bike, Riding Style, Weight, Swinger ETC....Cheaper than the Works and others and the Guy stands behind his work...:cool:

Mosh
08-08-2006, 08:57 PM
i did try the banshee shock...for 5 minutes.i dont like it. since he is going for a tri-z restoration,in other words factory condition,i suggest the warrior shock as the way to go.it bolts right on and you cant tell by the looks of it,that it is not stock.and i can make you a shock cover to hide the color of the warrior spring.i have like 6 blown banshee shocks i just took to the scrap yard.they blow more often than a warrior shock. from what i have seen.in any sense,the banshee shock will work with modifications.but in most cases,it is not worht it.if you are a heavy rider,then yes.you would like the valving and spring rate of a banshee shock, over a warrior shock.how-ever,if you want your tri-z to look stock restored and you are less than 185 lbs,then a warrior shock makes a suitable alternative for direct bolt on replacement. no mods needed.if you are heavy in weight,then a works shock is the way to go.the banshee shock,will blow so often,after 1 year of a heavy rider hittin it hard,that 2 banshee shocks bought off ebay, will almost equal the amount of buying a works banshee shock.if you have the 3-400 bucks to spend,buy a works shock for a banshee, set-up for your wieght. that is the best way to go.imo.

TimSr
08-08-2006, 08:59 PM
I say just do what I did and get a Custom one made....I went with the Marvin Shaw...NO RESI....and Completely Adjustable, Rebuildable and built to your bike, Riding Style, Weight, Swinger ETC....Cheaper than the Works and others and the Guy stands behind his work...:cool:

I had actually done some research on these because I had seen where you had posted about it before. Ive never seen one, or used one, but the impression I got from everything I read on it was that it was not really designed or intended for heavy duty eastern motocross type use, and that they were made more for duning and cruising, though I never read those specific qualifications. Since you have one, I was wondering what your take is on this, and if you feel it would make a suitable MX track shock.

mywifeknowseverything
08-08-2006, 09:17 PM
Well Tim....The only one that I have is the Competition Model...This is a Good Shock for the Dunes and Drags....100% better than Stock...However,,,I wouldnt recommend it for trails or MX...It really doesnt have that Great of a Rebound as its built to just Squat when Dragging or Hill Shooting...

They do have the Coil overs though...They say they are for Racing....
http://www.marvinshawshocks.com/images/coila.jpg
http://www.marvinshawshocks.com/home.htm#Scene_1

Sorry I couldnt be of more Assistance:(

OldSchoolin86
08-09-2006, 06:15 PM
i did try the banshee shock...for 5 minutes.i dont like it.

if you are a heavy rider,then yes.you would like the valving and spring rate of a banshee shock, over a warrior shock.

the banshee shock,will blow so often,after 1 year of a heavy rider hittin it hard,that 2 banshee shocks bought off ebay, will almost equal the amount of buying a works banshee shock.if you have the 3-400 bucks to spend,buy a works shock for a banshee, set-up for your wieght. that is the best way to go.imo.

Odd, if you've had so many shee shocks you'd know they are fully adjustable and it doesn't matter if you are above or below 185 lbs. Either way I'm sorry you've had such bad luck with shee shocks, they last langer then a year for most people, even heavy ones. Also you might want to shop around, I only paid $80 shipped for my last shee shock and it's in great shape. Funny how different things are out by you.

seadoo650
08-09-2006, 07:34 PM
Odd, if you've had so many shee shocks you'd know they are fully adjustable and it doesn't matter if you are above or below 185 lbs. Either way I'm sorry you've had such bad luck with shee shocks, they last langer then a year for most people, even heavy ones. Also you might want to shop around, I only paid $80 shipped for my last shee shock and it's in great shape. Funny how different things are out by you.

I seen one with my own two eyes last weekend at Wellsville go to toast. (Banshee shock) The bike was fairly new or looked to be. Was bouncin' like a pogo stick by the end of the day.

Mosh
08-09-2006, 07:54 PM
Odd, if you've had so many shee shocks you'd know they are fully adjustable and it doesn't matter if you are above or below 185 lbs. Either way I'm sorry you've had such bad luck with shee shocks, they last langer then a year for most people, even heavy ones. Also you might want to shop around, I only paid $80 shipped for my last shee shock and it's in great shape. Funny how different things are out by you.the reason i have had 6 blown ones is becuase i have owned 8 different shees in 6 years.most have been parted out.almost every shee i go buy has a blown or leaking rear shock.now mine, is a 96 with the original shock.the wifes is a 93 with the original shock.but we run covers on them and dont mx them. i know what you are saying.as far as performance,the banshee shock blows the warrior or tri-z shock out of the water.but,this guy wants to RESTORE his tri-z.read the post!!!. so for a stock looking restoration appearence,the warrior shock is what he needs.i know you run a banshee shock on your z. go out and jump that thing for a year and let us know when it blows.:wondering .it will blow if you are jumping it.hey, if the shee shock works for you, great fine.i dont care what you run.if the banshee shock is more available to you or someone else,great.everybody has a different taste or need or desire.for someone wanting to restore a tri-z,like this guy, the warrior shock is what he needs.

this question is; for restoration. (something that is restored (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/restored); especially : a representation or reconstruction of the original form (as of a fossil or a building)
3 capitalized a :) if you were restoring a 57 chevy,would you put a cavalier dash board in it?:crazy: . hey if you like the banshee shock, great.you have found an alternative, for everybody that wants to go thru the (minor mods) to do it. i respect any body that can find a new way to to make something work.for that i give you props.:beer but i will tell you that i have 1 brand new 05 banshee shock waiting in the wings.:) . i know that a banshee shock over 2 years old is on borrowed time.especially if it has been ridden hard.lets face it,it's all yamaha's fault.all their shocks are basically on borrowed time.my brother is on his 3rd ebay banshee shock in 2 years. his last one was a 2000 shock and while he was riding his girlfriend around,it started leaking and a week later blew. they just arent as great, or durable as you think.take it from someone who has massive experience with banshee's:cool: