PDA

View Full Version : new friend owns an 200x. Have question?

trikes4life
08-07-2006, 12:03 AM
one of my friend's sister has a new boyfriend and i met him to day for the second time and he has an x. I met him out on a trail near my house while i was riding a friends red. I usally dont see x's or r's out by me, he wanted to know if i could do some work for him. HE was going to pay for labor charges i said, dont worry i could do it for free. He needs a chain, sprocket, and a chain adjuster put on. i am going to try to talk him into new bearings for the swing arm, and axle. Does the rear end get real lose, if you take off the pivot self-locking nut. because he said it teaters side to side when he rides. And it pulls one way during exceleration and breaking. He was trying to replace the chain adjuster. And he was wondering if the pivot shaft should slide right out, or if you have to take out any more bolts out. its an 84 200x

Erics350x
08-07-2006, 08:12 AM
sounds like axle bearings

ATCnut
08-07-2006, 02:17 PM
The problem you may have with this is the pivot shaft. They get stuck in the bearings and can be a real problem to get out. Search the forums, and you will find more than one case where the only solution is to cut the swingarm and pivot bolt with a sawzall.

The pivot should just slide out when you take the nut off of the one side. If that happens, I would recommend replacing the pivot bearing, the axle bearing, chain and both sprockets. Nothing should move back there when it is good.