PDA

View Full Version : Push button don't work on the starter(Big Red)

svo58
07-30-2006, 10:50 AM
The electric starter button don't engauge the starter,if i jump the starter it will start the motor.What could be the problem with it.I don't want to buy parts to try to figure this out.I just want to replace the part i need.Could it be the solenoid,any help would be great thanks.........svo58

Mosh
07-30-2006, 10:56 AM
alot of times you can take your switch apart and clean it up real good and fix the problem for nothing.check to see if a fuse might be blown.very simple and free checks

Banage
07-30-2006, 10:58 AM
Have you takin your headlight out to check for broken wire connection??? When mine didnt work, i could jump it but about a week later my starter was shot

svo58
07-30-2006, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the replys,I am going to ckeck the fuse and the switch.I will let you know how i made out,Thanks again..........svo58

Mosh
07-30-2006, 11:10 AM
if your push button is bad and you dont want to spend the big cash to fix it,you can go to a radio shack and get a high current push button to bypass the original switch.they are like 10 bucks.it is just a cheap option for you,unless you like to keep your bikes mint original.

Howard
07-30-2006, 11:33 AM
yeah, first place i'd check is that switch, they get a little corosion on them and the contacts inside the switch don't work good. prolly the start button itself, there is a little spring in there too.

200xman
07-30-2006, 01:03 PM
Does the neutral light come on? They won't start unless it is in neutral. The switch for the light is on the lower side of the engine behind the right footpeg. Make sure the wire didnt come loose.The neutral wire is the green/red one and the reverse is the gray.

Russell 350X
07-30-2006, 08:19 PM
Did you check your battery? Sometimes they have enough juice to run your lights but not to turn the motor over when you hit the button, so check you battery, could be shot too.