PDA

View Full Version : 200s rear brake...need help fast

hondahaulic
07-26-2006, 12:46 AM
ive got a 1984 honda 200s. the rear brake needs work but i cant seem to get the drum off. i have the hub, brake cover, and 2 large nuts off. the drum is not loose and im not positive on how to remove it. is it just rusted and seized on good, or is there something else i need to remove? it did look like there is a small round ring on the outside part of the drum.(its close to the same diameter as the 2 large nuts and it would be right next to the inner nut) does this ring need to come off before the drum can? the ring doesnt appear to make contact with the axle, just the drum. also, is the drum locked in place with splines, much like the hubs?
if it is just seized on good, does anybody know a good way to break it loose? im thinking i can modify a bearing puller to do it of there is no easier way. i need help asap so i can go trail riding with some friends.

team-red-rider
07-26-2006, 12:50 AM
heat...heat and more heat

84honda200s
07-26-2006, 12:58 AM
and use pb blaster i had too. just dont mess up the threads for the nuts. it is splined so dont mess them up either. lol or you will be up shits creek with out a paddle

trikes4life
07-26-2006, 09:25 AM
make sure there is type of snap-ring, and oh ya there use to be a oem oring that would sit right inside the grove between the drum and hub. if it is there you will need a knife to get it out.

hondahaulic
07-26-2006, 12:58 PM
how much heat can i use before it will weaken the axle? and is pb blaster in an aerosol can? im guessing i should be able to find it at most hardware stores.

hondahaulic
07-26-2006, 01:00 PM
oh and what snap ring are you talking about?

84honda200s
07-26-2006, 01:18 PM
mine didnt have a snap ring but anyways pb blaster is in a can yes. you can get it a t wal-mart, auto zone, car quest, and napa. you may be able to get it at a hardware store but the 1 in my town dont carry it as far as i know.

hondahaulic
07-26-2006, 01:24 PM
ok thanks. i didnt see a snap ring on mine so im guessing i dont have one either

freewheel3
07-26-2006, 01:50 PM
how much heat can i use before it will weaken the axle? and is pb blaster in an aerosol can? im guessing i should be able to find it at most hardware stores.
Don't heat the axle, that will make it worse. Heat the hub instead. Try soaking it in some kind of rust penetrant overnight if you have the time. If that doesn't work then use the heat. They can be a real pain to get off, don't pry to hard or you will snap the hub. The hub is splined. There is no snap ring but there should be a rubber o-ring.
Oh yeah, grease the hell out of the splines when you reassemble it.

84honda200s
07-26-2006, 02:39 PM
you can also use never sieze

ATC-Eric
07-26-2006, 04:32 PM
I had big issues with my 200. if the axle is out of the housing, then just work it as good as you can without hurting the threads. I didnt use heat, just a whole bucket of elbow grease!!!

trikes4life
07-26-2006, 08:43 PM
take the chain off and try to slip the whole thing through

TravEX
07-26-2006, 10:25 PM
^^^I agree! If I ever have to do it again on one that is seized up, that's what I'll do. On my current 200S, me and my brother spent at least 2 hours of spraying PB Blaster, pulling, beating and banging to got it off the first time. Sliding the axle out is the easiest way. Take the chain off and the hub off the right side (remove the 2 axle nuts by the drum rotor), put the nut back over the threads of the right hub, and I would use a piece of wood over the nut and hammer it out.

My 200S is being sold this Friday, but every year since I've had it I'll check the brakes and grease that drum rotor splines so it doesn't sieze up again.

Might as well put new axle bearings in while you got it apart that much. Cheap maintenance, and it keeps the brake shoes wearing evenly. I went through 2 sets of shoes just because of loose bearings.

Travis

hondahaulic
07-26-2006, 11:46 PM
today i hooked a 3 arm bearing puller up to the drum. i took off the arms and bolted a piece of chain to each place an arm was and ran each chain throw the holes on the drum and back. the 3 wheeler is currently sitting on its left side with alot of pressure on the bearing puller and with pb blaster sitting above the splines. any more pressure and im guessing the chain will break for the 2nd time. in the morning i plan to try to use a couple hydraulic jacts to force the left wheel outwards pulling the axle with it. ill try to put the jacks between the frame and rim (without bending it). then ill add more pb blaster, tighten the puller, and pump the jacks. if thats not getting me anywhere ill try using an impact gun on low power on the bearing puller so the pulses might break it loose. i might try heat too, but i dont want to have a weak axle in the long run. i also might try drilling a hole through the drum until i get to the splines, the fill the hole with pb blaster, put a grease serk in and using a grease gun to drive the pb blaster through the splines. in order to pound the axle through with a wood block and a hammer, i would have to take off the bearing puller, but i might try tapping on the puller.....it should have the same effect.

any of that stuff a bad idea?

also anyone have more ideas?

hondahaulic
07-27-2006, 04:42 PM
this morning i sprayed it again with pb blaster and tightend the bearing puller another half turn and the drum poped loose. even after it broke loose it still came off hard all the way. thanks for your help guys

TravEX
07-27-2006, 11:56 PM
Glad you got it!!!

JackFlack
07-28-2006, 04:03 AM
I think the best way is to take off the chain, and hit the right side axle into the drum.