PDA

View Full Version : What does a good used 1982 ATC 185S Go for these days? (Clone a champ proj.)

gbarchives
07-25-2006, 09:18 PM
:welcome: HI! I'm more known for working on old Snowmobiles, but I'm also kicking around the idea of duplicating a trike I used to win the NY State Grass Drag races back in 1984. It was based on a 1982 ATC 185S. I have not been into dirt bikes or ATC's since 1987, so I'm pretty well out of the loop. What does a good project ATC 185S go for? For example, I anticipate the pain in the rear part s to find would be the S&S Header, Curtis Sparks Cam, 200X sized carb, etc... Could someone take me aside and give me a few pointers on what these are selling for these days????

Vealmonkey
07-25-2006, 11:06 PM
You can pretty much forget about the S&S Header. 200x cam, carb and other aftermarket exhaust are pretty much available and you can still get bigger cams, bigger than 200x. The cost would really depend on the condition of the 185s. 200s is same frame and HP rating as 185s, but the 200s has higher torque rating. I've seen 185s and 200s go from $100 or so for a beater to around $800 or so for a really nice clean running trike. 200s would come with front suspension, as well as 83 185s. With a little looking you might get lucky and find a suspension kit for the 185s\200s. Keep your eyes open for a 200x supertrapp exhaust, very nice and tuneable also. I don't know how much your looking to spend. You almost have to use maier fenders and plastic tank for replacements as original honda fenders new are few and far between, meaning pricey and it can be hard to find a rust free fuel tank. Have fun and jump in, if your handy and it doesn't have to be a restoration, you could have a fun project and it can get as pricey as you want it to get.