PDA

View Full Version : Billet clutch basket

crackshot
07-25-2006, 08:38 AM
What's the deal with billet clutch baskets? You do not get the gear with them?
Is the gear riveted on? Do you have to drill the rivets out and press new ones in?

SWIGIN
07-25-2006, 08:42 AM
your 1/2 right...you drill the old rivets off and the new basket comes with tiny bolts to bolt the old gear on

crackshot
07-25-2006, 08:56 AM
Are those rivets a pain to drill out? Are the tough, hardened rivets?

Bryan Raffa
07-25-2006, 08:59 AM
I take a air grinder to them and grind the head off and then just use a punch to push them out...real easy!

SWIGIN
07-25-2006, 09:05 AM
I take a air grinder to them and grind the head off and then just use a punch to push them out...real easy!

what he said

crackshot
07-25-2006, 09:09 AM
You grind the heads off on the gear side? Seems tough getting the heads ground off on inside of basket.

crackshot
08-09-2006, 09:23 PM
So will an aftermarket 86 basket, plates and discs fit an 85?
Anyone know?

Bryan Raffa
08-10-2006, 07:56 AM
You grind the heads off on the gear side? Seems tough getting the heads ground off on inside of basket.

correct..gear side and in my book it says 85-88 are the same.. baskits are roughly $200.00 and use red locktite on the screws!

crackshot
08-10-2006, 09:57 AM
So does the center hub get grooves in it like the outer basket? Should center hub be replaced too or do they hold up pretty good and rarely grooved?

max
08-10-2006, 10:08 AM
Is this a hinson basket you got?

Yamahondaman
08-10-2006, 10:09 AM
the inner hub nomally hold's up pretty good on the 2-stroke's... the 4-stroke's wear more on the inner ...cause of the THUMP,THUMP,THUMP

crackshot
08-10-2006, 10:51 AM
Is this a hinson basket you got?

I haven't ordered it yet. was thinking of getting Weisco basket.
I might just go with a magnum basket though. I am not too hard on the clutch.
My basket has grooves in it and not going to bother filing it down.

crackshot
08-17-2006, 05:50 PM
Ok I got this basket and says you have to replace gear on crankshaft with a 1989 style because the gear is thinner?
Any truth to this? Are you guys replacing the crank gear too?

max
08-18-2006, 12:36 PM
I just did mine last week. It was cake. Cut out the rivets and throw the gear on the new basket. Im looking at my directions now and they dont say anything about replacing any gear.

crackshot
08-18-2006, 01:08 PM
I just did mine last week. It was cake. Cut out the rivets and throw the gear on the new basket. Im looking at my directions now and they dont say anything about replacing any gear.

I bought a Magnum billet basket and instructions state that gear needs to be changed and another person from another board said his Hinson basket hit the gears and ground it up a bit.

Mr. Sandman
08-18-2006, 06:39 PM
I don't know about the other brands but the Hinson basket is a piece of cake and you can use the origianl gear and don't need to update it. The rivets that hold the gear to the stock basket are easily drilled out or ground off. Prior to bolting (with Loctite as metioned before) the stock gear onto the new basket the outer edge of the gear DOES need to be beveled about 1/8" or it will grind inside the case.

crackshot
08-18-2006, 09:48 PM
Prior to bolting (with Loctite as metioned before) the stock gear onto the new basket the outer edge of the gear DOES need to be beveled about 1/8" or it will grind inside the case.

Do you have a pic or diagram of how you had to do this?

I guess I will install it and spin it to see whats up.

max
08-19-2006, 09:16 AM
In my directions it says "if your motor is a 1986 model, then you will need to bevel the edge of the primary crankshaft gear to clear the edge of the clutch basket."

Good thing my motor is an 1987. Hope I didnt need to do any grinding. Because mine is all together and is gonna be started today!!!!

crackshot
08-19-2006, 01:55 PM
In my directions it says "if your motor is a 1986 model, then you will need to bevel the edge of the primary crankshaft gear to clear the edge of the clutch basket."

Good thing my motor is an 1987. Hope I didnt need to do any grinding. Because mine is all together and is gonna be started today!!!!

I am sure is they want you to bevel gear because of end play tolerances.
I haven't even gotten mine taken apart yet but will probably bevel the gear instead of replacing it. If I had the thickness dimensions of the 89 gear, I would just have it machined down.

crackshot
08-20-2006, 05:36 PM
Well got basket and new clutch installed. BIG difference.
Old clutch basket did have chatter marks all over.
Clutch is a lot smoother and digs hard. Shoots roost's, No slippage.
Heavier springs came in clutch kit.
Here's the deal on the crank gear issue. There was a gap between basket and gear about the width of note book paper. Too close for my likes and had a little light marks on basket when I turned it by hand.
I beveled gear about an 1/8 inch to be sure it clears basket.
So people installing aftermarket baskets might want to bevel the gear for insurance.
3 hours start to finish.