PDA

View Full Version : creek riding went bad

84honda200s
07-23-2006, 11:13 PM
well i went creek riding with my 200s. but wen we got back it sputered and wanted to die. it only happens when i go up hills. it is fine as long as it is on flat land. it will go up hills in first and second gear but wen i try 3rd gear it sputters. what can it be??? could i have sucked in water?? or could i have blown out my rings??? im lost i spent all day trying to figure it out.

please help a fellow 3 wheeler rider out.

didnt get many pictures but heres 2 of em. im kinda p!$$ed that they didnt get more and better pictures. sorry for lack of pictures guys

chris200x
07-23-2006, 11:20 PM
Lol... Time to clean the airbox/filter and the carb. This is the exact thing what happened to me after I sunk my SX in a mudhole (My avatar.. :D ) It would sputter in the higher gears when I gassed it. Might be a good time to change the fluids as well. Don't wanna be running motor oil if water got in there.

84honda200s
07-23-2006, 11:34 PM
i hear you. ive dumper mine in a "pond" more like a huge mud puddle. i dont run a air box i run a snorkel. but it was pooring out side so it could have gone it due to i dont have a filter on it yet. i run a snorkel mostly cuz wen i got my trike the guys nefu lost alot of parts sadly the air box was 1 of em. soo i had to impervise.

that black thing is my snorkel so far lol u do funny things wen u run out of $$$$

chris200x
07-23-2006, 11:45 PM
Oh my! :eek: :eek: :eek: :crazy:

84honda200s
07-23-2006, 11:55 PM
hey now its better than a bare carb under water aint it????? well it works ok. juss not wen its raining lol

firefirefire90
07-23-2006, 11:56 PM
Might be a good idea to run that snorkel a tad higher and add an airfilter to it.

84honda200s
07-23-2006, 11:58 PM
yea i no im going to try to get 6 inches on it + a filter

85hondaatc125m
07-24-2006, 01:14 AM
you might also want to run a pipe coming out of your exhaust so you dont get water running down your exhaust pipe and back into your engine.

84honda200s
07-24-2006, 01:16 AM
yea thought about that and i will probl be doing that tommarow. i hope lol

jason 32
07-24-2006, 01:42 AM
1 well it looks like it smokes so it might be time for new rings for one
2 it is going to resrict air because the hose diamiter? -even when you add a filter
it will be worse might need to jett down (leaner) check the plug and see what it looks like you want a tan color --- not -black-thats rich-- not wet
and not white --thats too lean
yea im sure it probably has water in it lol
is the electrical sealed???????? it gets wet too

OZQUAD44
07-24-2006, 06:34 AM
Well the mere fact it runs is a true testament to how well Honda builds things.

It has most likely sucked some water into the carby. Drain the fuel out the bottom of the carby into a container and check to see if it is contaminated with water. that goes for your fuel tank also.

The carby should have a hex head plug at its base or a drain scew outlet. Failing that, take off the float bowl. Be careful when you do that though, If money is an issue, you don't want to wreck the gasket or break any parts.

In regard to your air inlet setup. The hose diameter for that type of engine doesn't look too small, just filter the air going in somehow. If your always going to go swimming with it, mount the hose higher. Lots of Trikes had the air inlet feed from up near the head stem, see if you can rig up something like that. Also put on a pod filter by crikey man.

You may also be having some electrical issues. Squirt water dispersiant (WD40,CRC,INNOX etc..) into the magneto/points pick up area and onto any of the electrical connectors

Oh, and get the seat recovered you slack arse and have a bloody haircut!

P.S. good luck with it.

firehart
07-24-2006, 09:54 AM
When I got my 200x the seat looked like yours. I bought a piece of vinyl from a junk store for a dollar and put it over the original seat. Its not perfect, but its not poking me in the butt either.

84honda200s
07-24-2006, 10:25 AM
my plug is tan and my rings better not be bad ther 1 year old and i havnt drove that three wheeler much. lol yea i no i need a new seat coved and i will do it when i get some time and money. but first i need to fix it there is no since in redoing the seat if it dont run.

ps i dont want a hair cut.

dickieg89
07-24-2006, 12:28 PM
where abouts in ny are you 84honda200s? Is that foam zip tied on your forks in place of boots?, i like.

84honda200s
07-24-2006, 01:17 PM
i am from springville "about 20 miles south of buffalo" and no its not foam lol it is my tow strap that i use wen i get really stuck in mud. oooo yea guys i fixed my seat well for now anyways.

trikes4life
07-24-2006, 01:26 PM
i was just there wensday i go to the auctions once in a while, the one thats every wensday. We play spot the trike on the way down. Where always looking for parts trikes at the auction. We bidded on a sled wensday, but we didn't get it.

84honda200s
07-24-2006, 03:32 PM
yea i go up there too. lol i bought my first sled up there for 5.00 it needed a little work but nothing big. i live on the sme street as the auction lol only towrds town more.

traxxasx
07-24-2006, 04:15 PM
Well just for now, change your oil there might be water in there. Also for now grab like 2 or 3 socks and duck tape it around the end of your "snorkle" so you have some type of filteration, and so its harder for water to get in.

dickieg89
07-24-2006, 06:52 PM
ahhhhh a tow strap, that makes sense

springville, small world, thats where my dad went to high school and where my sister works. The springville auction on the hill, that is a good time.

84honda200s
07-24-2006, 07:27 PM
yea its ok but it seems to be getting pretty bad wer u from?

trikes4life
07-25-2006, 01:27 AM
i may go down this week, idk yet.

84honda200s
07-25-2006, 01:58 AM
well guys im in deep $h!t now. i took my 200s down and guess what i found. a rats nest of butcherd wires. who ever owned it be for me really killed the wireing. so if any of you guys have a spare wire herness laying around let me know. i also need the kill/light switch. oooo yea 1 more thing i did a compression test and it keeps telling me 30 psi now my question it would it even run with 30 psi?? let alone go threw 1 1/2 -2 feet of water??? this thing is really p!$$!n& me off. im starting to think it wasnt worth the 150.00 i payd for it. but it is fun to ride lol

team-red-rider
07-25-2006, 02:10 AM
ill restore it for ya buy the parts and free labor haha but seriously it would even start with 30psi

84honda200s
07-25-2006, 02:17 AM
really? man so much diff than the 2 stroke sled engines im used to lol could there be a chance my decompression is stuck open?? if it was my rings would i see metel shavings in my oil??? man i am dunm wen it comes to 4 stroke engines lol sorry for the dum questions.

fla 2-stroke
07-25-2006, 02:20 AM
wow!I lived in springville 89 to 95.I used to go to the auction all the time.could always find deals.I still miss all the snow.But Im in a cool spot now too.

84honda200s
07-25-2006, 02:24 AM
danm and hear i thought i was the only 1 from springville lol springville repusents man its growing little by little.

but really i need help big time i am supsed to go riding in a week and a half. but its not looking to good lol

oooo yea the snow sucks up here for the last 3 years sure we get naild but 2 days later its all gone

team-red-rider
07-25-2006, 02:28 AM
sure lol come to florida buy all parts and ill restore it for u free ...but umm yea disconnect the decompression i did!

84honda200s
07-25-2006, 02:30 AM
thats the thing it has no cable its already disconnected. i was wondering if it got jammed up inside the engine???? is it possible

trikes4life
07-25-2006, 12:57 PM
make sure that lever on top of the motor is all the way forward, see it happen many times. 30 psi never heard anything run on that psi. can u start it. Did you get the carb clean out yet. For the snokel idea, you could put a u shaped piece of pvc on it and it would be sucking from an down word angle. just a thought.

trikes4life
07-25-2006, 01:08 PM
i went to the Cohocton Fall Foliage Festival thats where i got my atc 200 for 50 bucks all it need was a new fuel cap and rear bearings. It sat in a garge since 97 and i took off the air box, the air intake is under the seat and the *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited*!ng rats filled it up with dog food all the way to the top. And i was wondering why i didn't run right. But it started on the first pull.

http://www.filehigh.com/files/gab/thumbs/1154_97350_tl.gif (http://www.filehigh.com/viewimg.php?f=4375&i=97350)

84honda200s
07-25-2006, 01:21 PM
yea mine starts about 2nd pull give or take. yes i no im going to put a u on the snorkel. but man im telling u now evrything is going wrong. the exhaust broke, it sputters in higher gears, the seat fell off, and now the f^(#!ng recoil breaks. but i am bond and determinedim going to get it fixed. well as long as my walit letss me lol

trikes4life
07-25-2006, 02:21 PM
i have been in your shoes before, i spent a hole night getting shiit prepare so i could go riding with friends the next day

84honda200s
07-25-2006, 02:28 PM
i hate wen it breaks down like this. i ordered a recoil rebuild, i also took care of the seat probl. well for now anyways. now all i need is an exhaust and figure out why it sputers in the higher gears.

chris200x
07-25-2006, 02:33 PM
Try this.. (this is what I did) while its running pull the gasline off the fuel petcock and shoot a good amount of carb cleaner down into the line. This should flush out the jets pretty good. Or just take the carb off and clean it real good. I did this immediatly after getting my trike home and it has not sputtered since. ;)

trikes4life
07-25-2006, 02:43 PM
if you pull the line of make sure you turn the petcock off first, done that before. lol

With riding in water alot, the recoil will take a beatin. The rope will start to rot when it does not get dry. The best thing i found that to seal it was silcone sealer on the edge and plug the hole where the decompression cable would be. And make sure the handel is down, and snug fit with the case.

84honda200s
07-25-2006, 02:53 PM
i was thinking of doing that. i will definitly clean the carb once i get my rebild kit in for my recoil. you guys know what really sux? i juss put a rebuild kit in the carb. lol but oooo well i got to do what i got to do. i juss hope i get her running like the used too.

p.s. i may just stick with riding in mud lol

chris200x
07-25-2006, 03:11 PM
if you pull the line of make sure you turn the petcock off first, done that before. lol

Uum,, Yea... Forgot to mention that! :lol: :rolleyes: I should also mention that this is the halfass way of doing it as you should pull the carb and clean it properly. ;)

I really dont see a rebuild kit as a necessarity here. I'm almost certian you got dirt down in your carb and that is what's causing the sputtering.

84honda200s
07-25-2006, 03:20 PM
i no i bought the rebuild wen i got the 3 wheeler. sorry i didnt explain it better. my bad. but how can the carb be the probl. when its fine in 1st and 2nd gear?? but i get up into 3rd 4th 5th it wants to die? it sounds like its running out of gas. actualy now that i think about it your rite if a jet is pluged it would act like its getting no gas.

chris200x
07-25-2006, 03:28 PM
Your trike is doing the same exact thing mine was after I drove it through this.:w00t: It was fine in the lower gears but once I got past 3rd and gave it gas it bogged and sputtered. when I got home I shot carb cleaner down into the gasline into the carb... took it for a ride and the boggin stopped. I then had to change the gear and motor oil becuase I thought I may have got water in through the exhaust into the motor. If you check your oil and it's gray that means something is in there that isn't supposed to be. ;) better to be safe than sorry I suppose.

84honda200s
07-25-2006, 03:39 PM
you are 100% rite better safe that sorry. ok i will take the carb off tommarow and clean it out real good. then i hope to get my recoil by thursday or frieday.

i adjusted the carb my the book specs because the plug was black and tan. if im not misstaking you want it tan not lots of black and little tan. i cant wait to ride again.

do they make a snorkel for atvs?? do they make a exhaust snorkel??

84honda200s
07-26-2006, 12:46 AM
well carb is done. i re adjusted it. well to book specs juss to get it close then i can go from there. now all i need is recoil parts and exhaust.

84honda200s
07-26-2006, 04:31 PM
i think its fixed it was a caeb probl. and for an exhaust i kinda made 1 out of a 1988 sportster exhaust i found at the auction. i got 2 of em with the pipes. its only a temp fix but it will work for now.

i just want to thank all you guys that helped me pin point the problem. now i know why i joined 3ww . you hhuys kick @$$ thax guys

trikes4life
07-26-2006, 10:58 PM
did you by them heavy crome looking harley davidson exhaust at that auction. If you did Lmao x 5. Me and topoortoride4 where looking at these crome exhaust with the pipe at the auction to day. Lmao, we sat there for 10 minutes trying to think if we could modify it to run the exhast on his 185 and use the head pipe and split the exhaust. i must of seen you and never recognized you.

84honda200s
07-26-2006, 11:55 PM
lol yes i did get em they wer free no1 wanted them. so i took em and put 1 on my 3 wheeler now i have an exhaust

IrvSLedman
07-28-2006, 01:46 AM
Lmao..you guys.. making us wnyers look like a bunch of hillfolk, jimmy rigging bike pipes to our trikes, and having the two or even three tone trike and the custom duct tape seat... well any ways, i would change the fluids get a filters on that snork, and mabe route if towards the front end, i did enough deep deep water riding on my 200, and it made it through okay, just needed an oil change. but as far as water going in your exhaust, as long as you keep on the throttle that wont happen, iv done plenty of riding where only my handle bars and front tire are above water, just keep on the gas. well good luck with your 200s, iv got one of them too and they can be tempramental... if it wasnt a honda i woulda drug out back and shot that thing long ago if i were you, but just cant kill a honda.. lol well good luck man.

84honda200s
07-28-2006, 02:08 AM
oooo man you are rite they can be 1 big pain. but like you said its a honda. i always keep on the gas. this will make you happy the "duct seat" is gone now lol. they harley pipe is a "temp" fix. lol i had the water about 3 inches from the top of the snorkel. man for only a 200s its got ballz.

IrvSLedman
07-28-2006, 02:16 AM
lol oh, im not saying that all those things are bad, i just get a kick outta stuff like that, trust me i have seen and prob done my fareshare of jimmy rigging... its just whatever works for ya at the time man, i understand what its like being hardup an money, im just an 18 year old.

84honda200s
07-28-2006, 05:12 PM
yea man money in ny is tight. lol thax to ny state sucking us dry of money and jobs.

ebecme01
07-28-2006, 06:08 PM
Good to see you got the problem fixed. I just thought I would tell you about another thing to check if this happens again. I had a 83 ATC200 that I rode in very deep water all the time. It would eventually run like crap and sometimes not start at all. I found that because the pull-start isnt completely water tight, the magneto would get wet or muddy inside. I found that if I took off the pull-start and sprayed carb cleaner all over in there trying to flush out the water and dirt it would start right back up. Probably a good idea to let the carb cleaner evaporate before putting it back together. Only takes a few minutes to dry up. My friends big red 200 never had a problem because the electric start is water tight and covers the magneto. Next time this happens after riding in deep stuff, check for spark first. Might be a good idea to try to make the pull start as water tight as possible. I saw you said the compression release isnt hooked up, does that mean the hole where the cable went through the pull start is open? Just a thought.